• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

half a border on a text frame

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to setup a text frame that I will use in many different places in my doc.

I want a border on the bottom of the frame, but only across *a third or half * the width of the frame. I'd rather do this without having to add a line object. Any easy solution?

Thank you

Susan

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guide , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Well! … Let's go for a "fringe" training [even I'm absolutely not a trainer and an "Adobe Community Professional" (expert designed by Adobe)!]:

Let's draw a basic text frame with text inside and let's add a "red-1pt" stroke to the frame" (the "blue" guide is at 8 mm):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.01.43.png

Let's apply the "Susan" stroke style (I've specifically created for this game …):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.01.59.png

(… and that is a truly simplistic style):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.02.36.png

See the result in the screenshot above: the "red" line is vertical on the left side of the text frame!

L

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

… Before "cutting and joining", just "inverser le tracé" (in French) -- of course, now you cut the "right side"!  =D

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 10.48.19.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

I wonder.
A paragraph border at the bottom (with stroke style and automatically height resize) brings the same result - without having to split the frame and "re-join" it.

Absatzrahmen2_01.png

Absatzrahmen2_02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use a paragraph rule?

Or do you mean something else? If so, please show a sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLZ excuse my ignorance but isn't a "paragraph rule" a property of paragraphs? I have many paragraphs in the text frame, and I want this short "line" (border) after them all, so it would need to be an attribute of the frame, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, paragraph rules are paragraph attributes but you could create a paragraph style, as suggested by @pixxxelschubser, and apply this paragraph sttle to the last paragraph of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am adding a removing text from the frame so the PP that I added the rule to might not be the last any more... No workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could anchor a line in the text frame.

Capture d’écran 2021-03-08 à 18.29.16.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Susan Flamingo 

I don't know exactly what you really want.

If a paragraph rule does not work for you - it may be a paragraph border does work.

Here is how it works (see the red line at bottom) with my german UI:

Absatzrahmen.png

But please - show us a sketch for a better understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this:

kjfdk; dfjkdlasjf kl;dasj jfdkl fdkjf klj;df dkjf kjf fjkdj fkjdklfjdklfjkj fdjkfkd fkdjfkld fkjdfkldf ;jfkdjfd;kljf kdlfjk fjdkljfkl djfkljkljfdklj jdkljfdkfjdkljfkl.

fkdjf;kldjfkl;djfkljfkldjfdkljfkdljfkdljfk fjkdjfkdjf dkfjdkfjdklfjkdlfj dkfj kjf dkjf.

fdkjdfkdlfjdkljfkl fdkjf dkljfkdlf dklfjdklfjkdljfkdjfkdljfkdjfkljfkdjfkldjfkdljfkdlfjkdlfjdkfjkfjkdlfjkdfj;jkfjkldjfkljf fjkdjfkd fkdfjkdf kfjdkjfdklfjkdlfjdklfj

But as I said the text will be changing. but I want the line to stay at the bottom of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxelschubser_0-1615230161815.png

Like this:

kjfdk; dfjkdlasjf kl;dasj jfdkl fdkjf klj;df dkjf kjf fjkdj fkjdklfjdklfjkj fdjkfkd fkdjfkld fkjdfkldf ;jfkdjfd;kljf kdlfjk fjdkljfkl djfkljkljfdklj jdkljfdkfjdkljfkl.

fkdjf;kldjfkl;djfkljfkldjfdkljfkdljfkdljfk fjkdjfkdjf dkfjdkfjdklfjkdlfj dkfj kjf dkjf.

fdkjdfkdlfjdkljfkl fdkjf dkljfkdlf dklfjdklfjkdljfkdjfkdljfkdjfkljfkdjfkldjfkdljfkdlfjkdlfjdkfjkfjkdlfjkdfj;jkfjkldjfkljf fjkdjfkd fkdfjkdf kfjdkjfdklfjkdlfjdklfj

But as I said the text will be changing. but I want the line to stay at the bottom of the frame.

By @Susan Flamingo

Isn't that exactly what I showed --> in my screenshot in my last post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to setup a text frame that I will use in many different places in my doc.

I want a border on the bottom of the frame, but only across *a third or half * the width of the frame. I'd rather do this without having to add a line object. Any easy solution?

Thank you

Susan

By @Susan Flamingo

The options are to use a line object—anchored or not—or paragraph rule or paragraph border. All of which you already discounted. The only text frame options are in Object > Text Frame Options, so unfortunately, no, this is not an option. 

Perhaps there is a scripting solution, but not one within InDesign's feature set.

The only workaround I can think of is to add a footnote on the first line, and then hide the numbers with character styles (which, once created) could be assigned automatically. You can control the line via Footnote Options.

footnote.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to answer to Barb Binder:

"… The only text frame options are in Object > Text Frame Options, so unfortunately, no, this is not an option. 

Perhaps there is a scripting solution, but not one within InDesign's feature set."

Susan could of course create such a text frame as she indicates us!

Just using the "stroke" basic feature and its "stroke style" accessory!

InDesign and its result as exported pdf in Acrobat:

Capture d’écran 2021-03-08 à 21.29.13.pngCapture d’écran 2021-03-08 à 21.32.24.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a little lost. The example in the PDF correctly reflects what i need. But i dont get how you set the border (stroke) as half the width?

Soery for bothering..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @FRIdNGE / Michel / The Jedi / Obi Wan  shows is produced by a custom script he wrote. It's not a built-in feature of InDesign.

Michel is an incredible scripter. I'm hoping he'll let us know where we can purchase his brilliant scripts.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if he not selling them (I don't have the possibility to pay anyway:) maybe he could share them with the community?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

I’ve just answered to Barbara Binder, indicating such a solution exists in InDesign since CS2, maybe in the first version CS1 +20 years ago!

As said, no script (this time)!  😉

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really sorry for being a bugging nerd (I am still learning:) but as far as stoke settings are concerned I only see:

Screenshot_67.png

weight

cap

meter limit 

etc.

So I really don't get what I should do to repeat what you have done. On the bottom, halfway..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well! … Let's go for a "fringe" training [even I'm absolutely not a trainer and an "Adobe Community Professional" (expert designed by Adobe)!]:

Let's draw a basic text frame with text inside and let's add a "red-1pt" stroke to the frame" (the "blue" guide is at 8 mm):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.01.43.png

Let's apply the "Susan" stroke style (I've specifically created for this game …):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.01.59.png

(… and that is a truly simplistic style):

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.02.36.png

See the result in the screenshot above: the "red" line is vertical on the left side of the text frame!

Let's first "cut" this left side (using the white arrow and selecting this left side) and then "join the path" to restore the frame intigrity:

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.03.19.png

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.03.59.png

To be "perfect", let's include 2 nice settings to the text frame: bottom inset and auto-resizing!

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.05.02.png

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.04.36.png

Now we can play adding, removing or totally typing new text (height automatically resized) or modifying manually the text frame!

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.05.45.png

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 09.06.09.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Shenim Dank to you for sharing your knowledge!

Now one more thing I need to know:

How can we have this "half-frame" be on the bottom side of the text frame BUT flushed to the *right side* 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… Before "cutting and joining", just "inverser le tracé" (in French) -- of course, now you cut the "right side"!  =D

Capture d’écran 2021-03-09 à 10.48.19.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clever, Michel!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder.
A paragraph border at the bottom (with stroke style and automatically height resize) brings the same result - without having to split the frame and "re-join" it.

Absatzrahmen2_01.png

Absatzrahmen2_02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve never written a paragraph border is a not-interesting way I personally use myself in some layout situations.

I just think mine can be useful to be known, especially by guys who try to help ID users on forums!

... and, I repeat, it was more an answer to Barb Binder’s comment.

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

It wasn't directed against you.

You know: I love workarounds for features that a program doesn't offer out of the box. However, this is not the case here.

On the other hand, we don't know which version the OP is working with. (or I didn't see it): 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a reminder:

But why easy when it can be difficult?
Michel's approach was necessary to get around this in previous versions. At a time when there were no paragraph frames. Of course it's a right solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"At a time when there were no paragraph frames." …

Not so sure!  😉

About these paragraph possibilities you mentioned, I already played with them 5 years ago [just for fun!]:

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines