• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Have problems assigning fill color via script

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a bear of a time changing the fill color of a polygon object. The polygon object has a name of "Ribbon". Here is the code I am using to try and change it along with the errors I receive in the comments:

var gDoc = app.activeDocument;
var myPages = gDoc.pages;
myGroupItems = myPages[0].allPageItems;

if (gDoc.pageItems.item("Ribbon").isValid) {
gDoc.pageItems.item("Ribbon").fillColor = templateDoc.colors.item("myTabColor").colorValue; // Invalid value for set property 'fillColor'. Expected Swatch or String, but received (34, 0, 9, 0).
gDoc.pageItems.item("Ribbon").fillColor = templateDoc.colors.item("myTabColor") // Invalid value for set property 'fillColor'. Expected Swatch or String, but received Color
gDoc.pageItems.item("Ribbon").fillColor = templateDoc.swatches.item("myTabColor"); // Invalid value for set property 'fillColor'. Expected Swatch or String, but received Color.
}

On the command line of the debugger I tried the following: 
templateDoc.swatches.item("myTabColor")
[object Swatch]
templateDoc.swatches.item("myTabColor").isValid
true

So you can see that templateDoc.swatches.item("myTabColor") returns a swatch object.

So why does gDoc.pageItems.item("Ribbon").fillColor = templateDoc.swatches.item("myTabColor"); not work if I am assigning a swatch value?

I have tried so many different variations and none have worked. I never thought it would be this hard to change the color of a polygon. 🙂

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

If you select the polygon on the page you could best check what kind of code with assigning a color to property fillColor will work. After you mastered this, look for the other issue, how you can find the named page item in your document.

Hints:

var myColor = app.documents[0].colors.itemByName("myTabColor");
alert( myColor.isValid );

// Further when the polygon object on the page is selected:
app.selection[0].fillColor = myColor;

If there is only one single page item named "Ribbon" that is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the polygon on the page you could best check what kind of code with assigning a color to property fillColor will work. After you mastered this, look for the other issue, how you can find the named page item in your document.

Hints:

var myColor = app.documents[0].colors.itemByName("myTabColor");
alert( myColor.isValid );

// Further when the polygon object on the page is selected:
app.selection[0].fillColor = myColor;

If there is only one single page item named "Ribbon" that is not nested in a structure like a group or is anchored you can get it like this:

var myItem = app.documents[0].pageItems.itemByName("Ribbon");
// Did you expect the next line?
alert( myItem.isValid );

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, 

Thank you for the information! I was able to successfully change the polygons fill color by selecting it and then changing the fill color of the selection.

So I can hopefully solve these types of problems on my own in the future, can you explain to me why I need to select the polygon to assign the fill color? Why can I not choose the polygon directly and assign the fill color? Something like:

app.activeDocument.polygons.itemByName("Ribbon").fillColor

That property in the object model is listed as read/write. 

Thank you again for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no need to select an object.

It's just the easiest method for testing simple sample code.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines