Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Header Section Formatting for full length novel

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a hobby of writing novels for myself and then formatting them into paper versions. In the past, I have used Microsoft Word, but since I have gained some experience with InDesign, I wanted to try and use it to do some more advanced formatting. I downloaded a free template to give me a base start, but I'm running into an issue.

The template provided what I belive to be a section header for individual chapters. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to edit it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.27.04 PM.png

I can't edit it with the text tool, nor does this header show up in the page master.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.29.39 PM.png

I'm completely new to formatting a book in InDesign, so any tips on how to edit what the above may be would be appreciated, or recommendations on any novel templates if there seems to be something wrong with this one.

 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems like I can't delete my question, but I found out how to edit the sections at the top. Now it's a matter of trying to figure out how individual chapters are set up... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to share the tmeplate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing--I've attached it. I was a dork and didn't realize I had to expand my window to see that there were, in fact, two masters set up. Now I just need to figure out how to set up chapter sections, but is more of a learning thing on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID is probably the best tool there is for book design... but Word it ain't. 🙂

The learning curve, even to a relatively simple skill set for book page layout, TOC generation, etc. is a bit steep, but well worth learning and mastering. You can even go straight to EPUB/Kindle editions from the same file if you master another layer of skills.

Word is probably a better writing and editing tool, but it's nowhere near as good at publication as Bill G. would like to think. 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ID is probably the best tool there is for book design... but Word it ain't. 🙂

Oh my God, I am feeling that right now ðŸ˜‚

I will check out the professional guide, thank you. I feel like I'm a little over my head right now haha -- But after having formatted in Word for so long, I do want to see what else I can do in InDesign... doesn't help that I'm on hard mode because formatting the Chinese characters is proving to be a headache, but c'est la vie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines