• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew Text Within English Article

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a magazine article that included both English and Hebrew text. A copy and paste of the text creates square blocks where the Hebrew verbiage is. How do I go about correcting this? Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

You probably know this or most of it if you've been working wtih alternate-glyph and RTL languages, but...

1. For running inclusion of Hebrew, you need a font that supports Hebrew characters. I think most of the Adobe Pro fonts do (as well as other common alphabets).
  2. For separate paragraphs, use Paragraph style that uses a Hebrew font.
  3. For inserted text in a style using a font without Hebrew characters, use a Character style that applies a compatible font.
  4. You will need to manually type Hebrew in reve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably know this or most of it if you've been working wtih alternate-glyph and RTL languages, but...

1. For running inclusion of Hebrew, you need a font that supports Hebrew characters. I think most of the Adobe Pro fonts do (as well as other common alphabets).
  2. For separate paragraphs, use Paragraph style that uses a Hebrew font.
  3. For inserted text in a style using a font without Hebrew characters, use a Character style that applies a compatible font.
  4. You will need to manually type Hebrew in reverse, of course, and possiby reverse cut/pastes.

Right offhand, I'd say cutting/pasting did not convey the right font, the right glyph assignments or might have been confused by RTL/LTR changes. You may have to fix all cut/pastes unless you can identify the cause and create an optimal conversion style.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing Hebrew in reverse is not really a solution for large works.  This is Adam אדם  when typed properly even works here in a web interface.    When typed in InDesign it scrambles the sentence.  There must be a way to make it work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of many tools that combine language management very well, even in simple cases like English/Russian.  You have to select a primary language set, and anything in a different alphabet, or reversed direction, or needing complex diacritics is going to have to be handled a bit clumsily.

What about typing (or just displaying) in a Hebrew/RTL editor, and cutting/pasting what's needed?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a solution.

Select World Ready...

Then use a compatible font.

TimeNewRoman works well in most apps, but not InDesign.

I am using LevenimMT

I will be trying other fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines