• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Adjusting Inline section titles Reflowable EPUB

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 Hello all, I have a small issue. This is a screenshot from Kindle previewer. I've circled what I want to correct, which is titles starting near the bottom of the page. I don't want them all to start at the top (Keep options start next page) because these titles are so frequent throughout the book that they will start in the middle of the page and I'm okay with that.
I tried using "Keep with next [#]lines", which works within InDesign, but doesn't work within the Epub. Not the end of the world if it isn't possible, but If anybody knows any solutions that may acheive the desired results that would be amazing. 

Thanks in advanced 🙂 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 7.20.06 PM.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You basically have little control over text flow in a reflowable EPUB. Since every reader renders the content slightly differently, and every user might change font or spacing or margin settings, there's a point at which you're going to have bad breaks and can do little about them.

EPUB has absolutely no "keep with" settings of consequence. The (CSS) break-before and break-after settings are about it, and they're... advisory, not absolute. Even (virtual) page breaks at headings are difficult to implement in Kindle (less so in EPUB), because reflowable books essentially have only one page; all else is virtualization by the reader.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James. I was hoping there was a solution in "keep with" since other keep options effect Epubs. 

I'll keep it as is! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again... EPUB has next to no keep options. All of the overlapping options in ID, intended for print layout, condense/distill to very weak  CSS page-break statements, which are indifferently interpreted by the various readers. Just as with HTML/CSS, there's no inherent concept of pages at all, and pagination is a (usually blunt-force) feature of each reader.

In many ways, reflowable EPUB preserves the aggravating attitude of early web/HTML, that content should just be a liquid to be poured into a container of the user's choosing, and ALL attempts to impose structure or rigid format are pollution of this pure concept. 😛

But there are reasonable workarounds for most such limits. Unfortunately, there's no good one for the hierarchy of text headings.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines