• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! InDesign crashing when exporting reflowable ePUB

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign file with about 400 footnotes - this file will export swimmingly to an epub. However when I convert the footnotes to endnotes so I can avoid them taking up space in the main text or at the end of each section, that file crashes InDesign every time I try to export.

I have tried saving as an older version, all preflight checks are green, and the only thing that is changing between the working export and the crashing one was the change from footnotes to endnotes.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? Do you see this behavior while exporting a specific file?

In addition to the suggestions shared by Mike earlier, please try the troubleshooting steps suggested on this community post & let us know if they help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aahutosh,

I recently upgraded to v16.4 - hoped it would help but no joy.  It is only happening on a specific document - so I don't think it is an issue with hardware or settings etc.  No odd fonts in the file, all Adobe fonts. There are nearly 500 endnotes, which was what I was suspecting may be part of the issue, but have had other files of similar size without issue.  THe file will export to PDF just fine, but hangs the application when trying to export to a reflowable ePub.

Happy to share the indesign file if that would help.

Thanks!

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's only that one file, export it to IDML, open that in InDesign and try again. You might also want to try it with InDesign 2022 (version 17)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try the export to IDML path - no joy there. Also same story with v17 😞 

It would be super helpful if there was a log file generated somewhere that showed where it was hitting the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am wondering vaguely if there's a limit to the number of note links or something of that nature.

It's a hassle, but can you create a copy and delete the notes by the 20 or 50 at a time to see if reducing the number results in a successful export?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines