• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with buttons in InDesign that should not be printable but is.

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to have a button (1) that when you click on it a pop-up button (2) appears – so far so good. I have unchecked the box for printable on both buttons but when exporting to interactive PDF only the start button (1) is hidden when printing and not the pop-up button (2). What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What app, and version, are you using to test the PDF? (Not what app is installed - what app is it open in - maybe a screen shot?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF is open in Adobe Acrobat Pro and I have the latest version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Interactive PDF, use FXL ePub or InDesign's Publish Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not going to help with a printing issue, Derek.

That said, this sounds like something that needs to be addressed in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the pop-up button is going to be in an application and give information about what infromation should be stated in the different fields. So I need it to be a PDF (I think) because the application will later go throught Adobe Sign.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing this, I'm going out on a limb and advising you to rethink it.

Show / hide fields has always been a bit wonky and if this is going to go through to a stage where it's actually a legal document, you're going to find yourself in some serious hot water if it falls apart somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you change the pop-up button properties in Acrobat? (Tools> Prepare Form> right click on a button)

button properties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I think that's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a problem with this solution: if I choose “Visible but doesn’t print” the button is visible from the beginning. I need it to be hidden but unprintable – a choice that doesn’t exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I may be missing something here, but you say you "unchecked the box for printable." 

I would think you need to check "Hidden until triggered" in the Button panel.

If you can supply sample page, we can look at it to be sure what's going on. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines