Exit

Help with text/stroke misalignment in an Indesign table

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 2022

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

I'm working on a 38 pg Indesign document that I did not create. Many of the pages have linked text formatted as a table. I was told that this document has been updated several times by copying/pasting text in place.

THE PROBLEM: Some cells appear not to be separate cells in the table. They are the ones that do not align properly. I can get the text to align by adjusting the cell inset to 0, but that doesn't affect the misaligned stroke. I'm not sure what to do to fix it efficiently.

In the linked file below I've indicated two areas with a red arrow to illustrate what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp8654lm7frigxx/20-DOL-DioceseAnnualReport_T2..indd?dl=0

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

Tonya

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Instead of inserting content from one cell to a cell in that table the author copied the WHOLE table into the cell of this table. You see a nested table.

A whole table was copied and inserted in a single cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

@Tonyaww said: "I'm not sure what to do to fix it efficiently."

Hi Tonya,

this very hard to do. The whole table is in total disarray!

Just to point out one issue:

Visually the table header seems to be ok in most cases, but the header is not part of the table!

That alone is a big mistake if you think of accessibility and you plan to do one version of the document as PDF for visually impaired people.

I would do a new table with three columns and a real table header.

Copy over the rows from t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of inserting content from one cell to a cell in that table the author copied the WHOLE table into the cell of this table. You see a nested table.

A whole table was copied and inserted in a single cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Tonyaww said: "I'm not sure what to do to fix it efficiently."

Hi Tonya,

this very hard to do. The whole table is in total disarray!

Just to point out one issue:

Visually the table header seems to be ok in most cases, but the header is not part of the table!

That alone is a big mistake if you think of accessibility and you plan to do one version of the document as PDF for visually impaired people.

I would do a new table with three columns and a real table header.

Copy over the rows from the now existing table one by one or, in some cases, where table cells contain tables, and it's not so clear what's going on, I would copy text to table cells.

You also have to merge cells in your new table if the cells in the source row that you have copied are merged as well.

There's nothing you can do to speed up the process very much. When you are done with all rows select all cells in the table and reset the minimum amount of table cells.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines