• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlighted text (using layman's language, not Adobe InDesign language)

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a self taught user of InDesign. This means I am able to create and edit stuff transferring knowledge that I learned from other programs to InDesign.

Unfortunatley, I somehow "highlighted" text. You know what highlighting means in Microsoft Word context, there is an icon with a highlighter pen, you choose the color, select the text you want and the text becomes highlighted.

I don't think InDesign calls it "highlighting text" because I can't figure out what I did to create the highlight, nor can i figure out how to get rid of it. My document is useless until I figure out the correct InDesign term along with the correct procedure to undo it.

Appreciate your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

The only thing I see is a small blue highlight at the end of one of the paragraphs that indicates a style override. It looks like a space character so you could just delete it. If you leave the character, then you need to get rid of the style override.

To get rid of it, in the paragraph styles panel, click on any one of the styles in the list and click the icon in the upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color is the "highlight? 

If it's pink, then it means that the font is missing from your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to get the highlighted text would be with an underline. It's a Character setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this, it really helped me out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the highlighting is blue, then you have style overrides in your text

https://indesignsecrets.com/why-is-my-indesign-text-highlighted-in-blue.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As SJRiegel suggested, it could be a missing font. If that is the case, you'll either need to install the font on your system or go to Type > Find Font and replace it with one on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing a screen shot of what you're talking about I can talk about two possible scenarios as to why there is highlighted text in your InDesign file. If you are seeing text highlighted in a pinkish-salmon color then InDesign is telling you that the required font is not actually opened and that the program is showing a substitute font. For the second scenario see the screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.53.48 AM.png

The shading option highlighted above highlights an entire paragraph in whatever color you choose with the drop-down menu to the right of the option. Uncheck the option and the highlighting will go away.

If neither of these two possibilities are correct for your situation, please post a screen shot of what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue highlight screenshot.png

I hope you can enlarge to see the screen shot. I think you are correct that its something to do with paragraph. I checked the shading it does not indicate color. I think its in paragrapgh setting. However I can't find the paragraph setting icon. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the "layers" and the "text" on the right side. I am assuming this is how I set the master formatting (I used a template from InDesign which is why I don't know how it was created from scratch). I printed my document to validate the blue does not show in print, and in fact it does not. So I then wanted to edit the properties of the text boxes and assumed that "layers" was the place to do so. When I did, all the text in the box I changed became highlighted in blue. I do want consistent formating through all sections, and I want to change font size. How do I let the program know I'm doing this on purpose and I want all to be consistent?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To incorporate your changes in to a style, after making a desired change to the paragraph, keep your text cursor inside the changed paragraph. Right click on the style in the Paragraph Styles panel and choose Redefine Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I see is a small blue highlight at the end of one of the paragraphs that indicates a style override. It looks like a space character so you could just delete it. If you leave the character, then you need to get rid of the style override.

To get rid of it, in the paragraph styles panel, click on any one of the styles in the list and click the icon in the upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shot looks like one of the “invisibles” is being highlighted. Since I see that you’re on a PC you can make the invisibles show with alt-control-i so that you can see what is actually being highlighted. It should be a paragraph return. If it is not then it may explain why it is the only thing highlighted. Since it is an invisible anyway (invisibles are only used so that functions like spaces between letters and words, tabs, paragraph returns and all of the other text related functions can be verified—they don’t actually print) it would never print.

Rob Day's post above shows that the highlighting of just that single invisible might be a function of the Composition alerts. Try turning that off and see if the single highlight goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, I was about to export this file i'm making for 200 copies of a city publiation and this issue came up... thanks to your help it was solved!!

thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign also has Composition preference (Preferences>Composition>Highlight), which highlights potential typographic problems. the highlight does not print.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.22.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines