• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hinky hyphenation

Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone noticed the terrible hyphenation errors in the latest version of InD? I'm finding so many mis-hyphenations, it seems I have to check every third one! I've checked my hyphenation settings, and they seem fine (see attached). 

Any ideas?

Hyphenation settings.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

InDesign’s hyphenation is dictionary based. You need to apply a language (in the Character panel) to text to tell InDesign which language’s dictionary to use. If the text has no language InDesign will use an algorithm which is not as accurate. If the text has the wrong language applied then InDesign might not find the words in its dictionary and still use an algorithm. Check to see if the right language it applied.

Other causes of poor hyphenation can be narrow columns that require aggresive h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022
  1. What language has your paragraph style?
  2. Did you apply any character style? What language does this style have?
  3. Do you have any manually formatted text without any style? If so, did you alter the text language?
  4. Are the dictionaries set up in preferences correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign’s hyphenation is dictionary based. You need to apply a language (in the Character panel) to text to tell InDesign which language’s dictionary to use. If the text has no language InDesign will use an algorithm which is not as accurate. If the text has the wrong language applied then InDesign might not find the words in its dictionary and still use an algorithm. Check to see if the right language it applied.

Other causes of poor hyphenation can be narrow columns that require aggresive hyphenation that might not be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No narrow columns, but I will check the dictionary. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What language has your paragraph style?
  2. Did you apply any character style? What language does this style have?
  3. Do you have any manually formatted text without any style? If so, did you alter the text language?
  4. Are the dictionaries set up in preferences correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll check all those things. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines