Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horrible performance when connected to a server

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

I am having lots of trouble, and I've had it up to here (picture my hand relatively high)

We have a customer who needs a catalogue of articles with prices, QR-Codes, etc. but most notably, Images.
Whenever I am connected to a server (which is vital where I work), InDesign has serious performance issues.
A workaround is copying all necessary data onto a local drive, and work from there – but that doesn't solve the problem. ONLY when I disconnect from the server, performance goes back to acceptable levels.

The main problem is the delay/lag I experience when I place a new Image into the existing frame. It gives me a solid 15-20 seconds of beachball, everytime. From LOCAL images, nothing on the server at all. When I disconnect the server, everything works fine tho. What's the problem here? Am I missing something?

I know Adobe doesnt officially support their software to be run with a server-kinda-architecture (I'm no IT person), but since I am working locally, why would the server interfere with what I'm doing??

We use a CC library for the QR codes which works perfectly, btw.

I am running the latest update of InDesign (2022) on a late 2013 iMac (Catalina) with 32gb RAM @ 1600mhz, a 3,4 Ghz i5 and a Nvidia GTX775m with 2gb

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi @Verenaaaa ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, please check the suggestions shared in this similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/heavy-server-problems-with-indesign/td-p/9894940 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a new issue. As you said, Adobe officially does not support working on network or shared media.

The issue is your server connection. Anything can effect performance when linked to it - network speed, lags, etc.

Even if you drag local if anything anything is connected to the server its going to impact your performance. Something is connected and looking at the server when you are in InDesign.

A good test is to mount the drives, start a brand new blank document (do not open exisiting). Place images. Is there a performance lag?

You've answered your own query - when the network is disconnected InDesign works fine. When its mounted it lags. I would talk to your IT people about what is going on with the lag in communication to the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Kevin.

The IT person has been trying to solve this for like 6 yrs, so I thought i might give it a shot here and see if someone found the issue. If it isn't made to work with a server, why would it interact with it even if there's no reason for it..

Leaves me confused. But good to know I'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no you were never alone, but the problem is exacerbated by the CC platform. the SOP is to grab project files to work locally, and update the archive on the server after changes per your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is exacerbated by several factors including Mac OS to Windows servers. Its not just because of Creative Cloud. Don't get me started on Microsoft Excel files on a server...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been the reality for decades. Its the physical limitations of the hardware to read/write/keep up with the speed of OS and software. Hence why Adobe's official policy is to not support network/remote live work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Verenaaaa ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, please check the suggestions shared in this similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/heavy-server-problems-with-indesign/td-p/9894940 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

I'll have a dig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the word "Library" used here. Have you tried completely removing the Library from your installation?

Also, you are running the latest version of software on a nearly ten-year-old Mac, with a (I believe) spinning hard drive and a video card with barely enough RAM to be useful (nowadays). I'm surprised you find InDesign to run acceptably even when you're not connected to a server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for your input.

I hardly believe InDesign fills up that VRAM, and that's not the only performance mark on a gpu.
It's a Fusion Drive – so hybrid. But I want the data to come from a server anyway – ideally.

As I said, "offline" everything works fine.

You can see I even match recommended specs:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

Complexity of the document is completely arbitrary. Whether its a 80-page catalog or one picture on an A4 page, same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines