• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How are people planning on dealing with T1 fonts in January?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. What are folks planning on doing for unsupported fonts in the future of Adobe? My industry is one that pulls from art archives all of the time, and from what I've seen from Adobe Fonts, 1 to 1 substitutes are few and far between.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

My industry is one that pulls from art archives all of the time

Look for a converter. FontLab’s TransType seems to work very well, it keeps the font’s version number. See this thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/ende-der-unterst%C3%BCtzung-f%C3%BCr-ps-type-1-fonts/td-p/11874314

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. That's not much of a help file though. It just is sort of stating the various ways in which Tyoe 1 fonts will not be supported. The goal of my question is to see how others in the community plan on dealing with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially keep this in mind: Even if older application versions still support Type 1 fonts, operating systems are also currently moving towards ending support for Type 1 fonts. Previous versions of Creative Cloud apps will not be able to support Type 1 fonts once support is ended for the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My industry is one that pulls from art archives all of the time

Look for a converter. FontLab’s TransType seems to work very well, it keeps the font’s version number. See this thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/ende-der-unterst%C3%BCtzung-f%C3%BCr-ps-type-1-f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to check the font foundries licensing agreement/requirement before converting.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I converted all my fonts before reinstalling them, my font manager and CC on this new system about a year ago, I am hoping the bogus warnings and false-T1 font messages will finally go away. I have a couple of legacy docs that insist they contain T1 fonts, and I look forward to them actually breaking so I can actually fix them and not work around perpetual warnings. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the question is here. This has been public knowledge for a long time.

I know it's harder for larger organizations but I personally gave up on Type 1 a decade ago. I don't have any Type 1 fonts on my computers. Even if Adobe didn't do anything, Apple and Microsoft are killing it anyway so even if you keep an older version installed, it's not likely that you're doing anything but kicking the can down the road.

If you haven't done anything up until now, it's time to rip the Bandaid off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here I wrote a free script for changing fonts in the current/multiple document(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines