• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I add automated figure numbers to the end of a sentence or paragraph?

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on instructional documentation where we have multiple steps of instructions followed by figure number call-outs to refer to the images below. What I need help with is how to have automatic figure numbers occur at the end of a sentence or paragraph so I don't have to change each and every one of them when I add in a new step. We have on average 50-100 figures so automation would be super ideal, especially if we have to delete a step or add on in mid-document.

default8r96101610uf_0-1620420692228.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely untested, but I'm thinking an anchored text frame containing a Numbered List paragrpah style and a single invisible character, such as a thin space, to trigger the list.

That said, in your illustration you have a callout for two figures at once, and the oly way I can see to that using this scheme would be to anchor a second frame inside the first anchored frame which seems impractical.

Have you looked at using cross references?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was hoping to avoid anchored objects for this as that could be impractical too. For a brand new document it would make sense, but if we have to go in and update an older document and those text anchors aren't present then it will be a ton of work to install a bunch in. I have tried using cross-references, yet again with having 50-100+ images to refer to, that can be a lot of cross-references to individually state and ensure no mess-ups. I was hoping there was a practical solution but perhaps there isn't one yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines