Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I apply continious numbers in text frames

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I did some research but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know how can I add continious numbers in text frames? I did a method using paragraph style and it did not work. 

Thank you.

cemc18303069_0-1626532429601.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cemc18303069,

could you do another screenshot where you selected one of the frames and hidden characters and frame edges are showing?

Or do you want to start from scratch?
Then I would do every month as an InDesign table.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank for your kind help. Actually I want to change this 2021 calendar layout to 2022. I have to work on this. That's why  I can't start from scratch. I am attaching another image which shows all kind of hidden items. 

Also second attachment shows what happens when i am applying paragraph style to selected text frames.

Thanks again.

cemc18303069_0-1626535706541.png

cemc18303069_1-1626535792556.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth the $20 (US) to get the calendar plugin:

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.12400.indesign-calendar-wizard.html

or

http://calendarwizard.sourceforge.net/download.html

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I am looking for manual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Use the InDesign Gridify feature to create a series of text boxes (7 x 5 for most months) on a page; they frames will be linked
  2. Dupe the page 11 times
  3. Delete any unnecessary text boxes from each month depending on month start and month end
  4. Thread the text frames from page-to-page using alt/option-click
  5. Type 1-31 with a return after each number
  6. Select all, cut, & paste numbers 12 times
  7. Delete unnecessary numbers from each month
  8. Create a paragraph style set to align right and Start Paragraph: In Next Frame
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the manual solution.

Let's work with your text frames.

Thread all text frames of one month where you like to see the numbering.

From left to right, from row to row. Then apply your style.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do A LOT of calendars. I've found the easiest way is to draw your boxes for each month graphically, then place a text frame over the whole graphic on a new layer. Set your tabs and line spacing to align with the boxes. You will need a style for both 5 and 6 rows. Each year I select the text and strip all returns. Then I add or remove empty tabs at the beginning of each month so the first starts on the correct day. Then I run a GREP to apply a new return after every 7 tabbed dates. I can update a whole calendar in just a few minutes.

May sample is a wall calendar. I do all sizes this way. The grid is just an empty table. That lets me quickly create a grid to any size I need. The small calendars are done the same way, but I arrange them in a  column and export them as one PDF. That way I just slide the PDF up or down to reveal the calendar I need. I finish by removing the grid lines in the table where there are no dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do a lot of these. You need to do the donkey work with the first one, but once you've done that, you should only need to click on a new start day for each month.

Set up two paragraph styles using numbered lists. One set to continue from previous, one set to start from 1.

Select every day and give it the 'continue from' style. Change the first day of the month to 'start from 1'.

If you like, create a third style for blank days / weekends / holidays, etc.

You need to apply anything - I always just add an empty space - to each frame in order for the number to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines