• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can I search for indesign files by version?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I search in windows or bridge for InDesign files created on specific versions i.e. CS6, 16.0,17.1?

Adobe Bridge has an "Application" property in the metadata that shows the InDesign version, but I have not been able to use it in a search. 

I would like to be able to find all CS6 InDesign files within subfolders of a main directory to then run a conversion script.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ivan zep ,

there are some hints and code samples how to do that in the forum.

One example that tries this with XMP metadata:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/js-how-to-determine-version-of-indesign-document...

I tested Loic's code on an InDesign CS6 file and it worked very well.

Returned: "Adobe InDesign CS6 (Windows)"

FWIW: Another one was by the late Jongware that dives way deeper and analyses the binary of an InDesign document file. The link to the script file is not working anymore, but here a post that explains the method:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/all-indesign-versions-determining-version-before...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tested Loic's code on an InDesign 2022 file and the code returned:

"Adobe InDesign 17.3 (Windows)"

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

Thanks for the info

I tried Loics script and it worked. However, it's still a very manual process when trying to do this across multiple directories. My ultimate goal would be to point the script to a folder and have it return a list of InDesign files with path and version number. 

I tried  Kasyan's batch process script on a folder but did not work since Loics requires pointing it to each file.

I'm not a coder so, not sure how hard that would be to add what I'm trying to do. 

Another thing I tried is using "Everything" app, version 1.5a which has XMP search capabilities but unfortunately, I did not see any parameter that would list the files InDesign version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ivan zep ,

I thought you are a developer, because you tagged your intial question with "Server developers".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tagged it as that by mistake, I tried changing it afer publishing it but did not see an option to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines