• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you add a TINT of a Pantone swatch to a CC Library?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find out how to add a tint of a Pantone swatch from InDesign to a CC Library. Ex: 60% tint of 2143C. I understand that when you do this you also have to add the 100% value of this swatch as well, but when I do this I just end up with 2 100% versions of the same swatch instead of one at 100% and one at 60%. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Found this almost 4,5 years after the original request. Still not working, it's 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica:

Use the New Tint Swatch from the Swatches Panel menu:

example2.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb!

Thanks for the message. My issue falls when trying to add a tint swatch to my CC Library. It seems like you have to add it to the library with the original (100%) version of that swatch. But when I do this, I just end up with 2 100% swatches of my color in the CC Library insted of one at 100% and one at the designated tint. 

Any insight on this? 

Thanks again 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb--she asked about adding the tint to a CC lib.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica,

as a workaround you could store a rectangle with a fill of the Pantone tint applied.

This would be a InDesign-only solution.

You would not be able to share the tint with PhotoShop or Illustrator files.

From my German InDesign where I added a spot color from the HKS palette. Plus a tint with 50%.

Adding the spot color is no problem:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-1.PNG

But I cannot add the 50% tint of this spot color:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, great idea for a work around!

I am trying to establish a CC library of brand elements to ensure consistancy across our team, in the past maintaining consistant color has been an issue. I hope Adobe looks into changing the fuctionality to allow for tints to be added to a CC library. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica,

ok, I just tested the library element, the rectangle with my applied spot color tint, with Adobe Illustrator.

Actually I found you can share the spot color tint with an Illustrator document, but this requires some steps:

1. Place the asset with the spot color tint applied from the CC Library to the Illustrator document:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-INDD-to-AI-1.PNG

2. Now you have a linked graphic on the artboard. Also the spot color. But not the tint of the spot:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-INDD-to-AI-2.PNG

3. Embed the linked graphic.

You can do this with the Properties panel:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-INDD-to-AI-3.PNG

4. Had to release the mask to get to the fill of the placed asset with the tint of the spot color:

AddSpotColorToCC-Library-INDD-to-AI-4.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica,

1. In Adobe Illustrator, go to the Fill button within your 'properties' window
  2. Input your codes for your base colour (Hex, CMYK or RGB) and click 'add new swatch' at the bottom of this window. Make sure 'global' has a tick next to it. Then click 'ok'.
  3. In the swatches window, single click on your newly created swatch.
  4. Go over to the 'Colour Mixer' button
  5. Add the percentage of the tint you would like
  6. Click on the button just undeneath the percentage called 'CMYK click to convert' or 'RGB click to convert', depending on the type of colour you're working with.
  7. It'll then give you new values for your colour with the tint applied (Hex, RGB or CMYK)
  8. In your CC Library panel, click the 'add element' button and select the newly created tinted colour.

Hope that helps! 🙂

step1.png

step2.png

step3.png

step4.png

step5.png

step6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe switch to Adobe Swatch Exchange .ase files? Share it on Creative Cloud or some shared service?

CC Libraries is such a great concept but only half done. 
It should support Tints but doesn't.

And paragraph and character styles should be more robust by not only supporting them fully for ID, AI, and PS; but also providing a behind-the-scenes converter to make them seem compatible, so you can use them across all three software apps.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this looking for an answer to adding tinted swatches to the CC Library.

It's 2023... I really wish Adobe would stop adding features we don't need and start adding those we do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found this almost 4,5 years after the original request. Still not working, it's 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines