• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW DO ACCESS THE PANTONE SWATCH BOOKS IN INDESIGN

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I CAN'T FIND THE PANTONE BOOKS IN THE LATEST UPDATE OF INDESIGN.

THEY USED TO BE EASILY ACCESSED.

NOW I CAN'T FIND THEM AT ALL.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Hi Martin:

Did you open Window > Swatches > Swatches Panel menu > New Color Swatch, then choose a Pantone book from the Color Mode menu?

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.08.png

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that was so helpful! Seems like an overly obscure place for Adobe to tuck this imporant feature. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantone Bridge is no longer available in Adobe and I'm struggling to find an easy (and inexpensive way) to get it back. We use the Pantone Bridge book for our colour matching, and now the digital version is no longer available via Adobe we feel a bit left in the dark. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is old, but why would you want to load the entire Pantone library into your InDesign document? ... because that is what you're doing when you load all swatches -- it loads every single Pantone swatch into that one document only. I suspect you're not using every single one of them in your document. You don't want to include unnecessary swatches in your InDesign document. Load the swatches you need for that particular document.

All of the swatches are available at any time -- the entire library (well, up to a point; there are some swatches that are not available, but are part of Pantone Connect) -- the way that @Barb Binder@Steve Werner and others have described. They're already "loaded" into the program -- you just have to pick the one(s) you want for the current document. Loading all Pantone swatches into your document swatches palette is overkill and bloating.

Like I said, all of the swatches are already there -- the window just looks different, like @Steve Werner was saying. What you're describing in Illustrator is not the document swatches palette, it is the Color Book palette, which is separate. You don't load the entire Pantone library into your Illustrator palette either -- you view the full list in the Color Book palette and then you add the one(s) you want to your document swatches from there. Likewise, in InDesign, you go to the Swatches panel, select "New Color Swatch..." and then you select "PANTONE+ Solid Coated" or whichever... which then shows you the entire list of available Pantone colors, and you select the one(s) you want, just like Illustrator's Color Book palette, but with a different look/feel.

Why in the world you would try to add the entire Pantone library to a single InDesign document is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BriGuyOSC , Adobe is going to stop installing Pantone .acb files in future updates—   @erep638900 should be able to manually load old .acb files from earlier versions, but it will not happen automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes, I'm aware. Just scratching my brain over why the OP would want to load the entire Pantone library into their InDesign document swatch palette. Mind-boggling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin,

I think people are misunderstanding your question. I have the same issue. I know how to add colors to the swatch panel and when you used to open InDesign swatch panel to add a spot color you'd have the option of choosing the color book Pantone PMS colors and using the numbers associated with the color to find it in the color book. But, now, the only Pantone libraries I have are CMYK coated and uncoated. I suspect that's what you are seeing too. Did you ever find a solution? 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, now, the only Pantone libraries I have are CMYK coated and uncoated

Hi @unterschutzch30069572x7j3 , This thread is 5 years old. If you have upgraded to CC2023 the Pantone Libraries are no longer installed during the upgrade. See this thread for pantone options using the latest version:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/pantone-alert-in-indesign/td-p/13565184

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Thank you so much for this info and the link. I appreciate the help. I am hoping I can install the .abc files. As I was researching the issue I came to the conclusion something like this was the issue. I guess I haven't used spot colors much over the past few years but the one time I needed a spot color I relaized I didn't have the pms book options I used to have. Have been using InDesign as long as it's been around. Always something new to learn 🙂 Thanks again for your help. -Cheryl 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally feel your pain about "where did the PMS books go in Indesign! The reasoning of moving Pantone books on Indesign totally escapes me, too. 

I found a quick fix. Not ideal, but at least this solution helps you access the the PMS books once again. Simply open up an older versions of Indesign. I found the PMS books still in tact in the Indesgin 2021 version. However, you will best need to start a new file using the older version.  Not sure if you can take a current file of Indesign in the earlier version without messing up your file from a 2023 version, etc.

Hope this helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I totally feel your pain about "where did the PMS books go in Indesign!

The Pantone acb files no longer get installed in any of the CC2023 apps, but you can manually install them by copying or moving the .acb files from your CC2021 folder to your CC2023 Swatch Library folder:

Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign 2023⁩ ▸ ⁨Presets⁩ ▸ ⁨Swatch Libraries⁩

After the manual install they should show in the CC2023 New Swatch Color Mode dropdown list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines