Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convert manual endnotes to InDesign 2018 endnotes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hopefully someone can help. I have a long document with over 370 references which I imported from a couple of Word documents. All the endnotes are essentially manual entries superscript entries - though there are no other superscript entries other than the place and they are in assorted text boxes.

Basically I'm looking for a way to automatically convert the superscript text and manual endnotes into the new InDesign endnotes format. I'm going to have to do some fairly major edits on the document and this would make life so much easier.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've found https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/superscript-numbers-to-footnotes and http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/footnote_endnote_conversio…  but I don't think either of these will quite do what I'm looking for. The first one ran an error and now won't do anything and the second only works for InDesign endnotes/footnotes.

Hopefully someone can help, either to do everything automatically or at the very least tell me how I can batch convert a manual superscript into an inserted footnote which I can then copy and paste the reference text into.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Thanks everyone. I had another go this morning (UK time zone) and got it all working. To give you a quick run-through:

I restarted InDesign 2018 with a fresh backup version of my file. @Jongware’s script then ran correctly. However I had a message that said it was failing part way through the document due mismatched number of superscripts and references.

I worked out that all the frames needed linking for the whole document before the script would run all the way through  - I had some orphan frame

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you reimport the word file in the document while working with CC 2018?

What do you mean by manual endnotes? is it footnotes acting as endnotes?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

for this task you need a custom script that is able to gather all your faked endnote numbers plus the corresponding texts and will create real endnotes in InDesign. Such a script is not written yet, I guess. So you have to pay a scripter to do that. Don't know if it's worth the effort for only 370 references. But if this task comes more often the amount of money you have to spend could pay off.

How do want your endnotes be positioned:

Endnotes per story?
Endnotes per document?

How do you want your endnotes be numbered:

Should numbering continue throughout the document or should it restart with every story?

Just to make that clear:

A story can consist of one single text frame (or text path) or can be constructed out of many text frames threaded together.

You cannot have renumbering in a single story.

And you have to know, that you cannot have the endnote's texts in the same story with the text that has the endnote reference numbers. The endnote's texts is always a separate text frame or a couple of threaded text frames that is either positioned automatically on an extra page just after the last text frame of a story or on an extra page at the end of the document.

FWIW: Jongware's script:

Re: Loosing Footnotes when placing word in InDesign

is from 2013 and is not what you need with InDesign CC 2018's brand new endnote feature.

And Peter Kahrel's script requires real footnotes:

Footnote–endnote conversion (CC2018+) | Peter Kahrel

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe (and everyone else)

I think I probably agree - it's probably not going to be the simplest job. To answer your questions:

How do want your endnotes be positioned?... Endnotes per document

How do you want your endnotes be numbered? numbering to continue throughout the document

In answer to others questions, it's a long document made up of multiple Word documents including illustrations that have since been edited in InDesign so sadly I can't reimport from Word easily.

I'm happy I can do this manually if there isn't a script (well, not happy... more resigned!). My main question now is: is there a way to automate inserting blank endnotes into the document using a find and replace function? It's a bit of a pain to insert with keyboard shortcut and then return to reference via right hand click. I was thinking it would be easier to have all the numbers automatically replaced as endnotes and then I just have to double check the numbers, then just cut and paste the endnotes all in one go at the end, comparing it my original document rather than jumping about all over the place.

Thanks for all your help

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you know where and how is defined each note call and where and how is defined each note, so, it's simple!

… and you'll need a script!

(^/)

[Such a script is not proposed for free because I think such a gratuity no longer values scripters' real work and knowledge, as it may have been the case by the past!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

.. FWIW: Jongware's script:

Re: Loosing Footnotes when placing word in InDesign

is from 2013 and is not what you need with InDesign CC 2018's brand new endnote feature.

And Peter Kahrel's script requires real footnotes:

Footnote–endnote conversion (CC2018+) | Peter Kahrel​

So why not use my script to convert the fake endnotes to real footnotes, followed by Peter's to convert these footnotes to "live" endnotes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware,

I may be wrong, but I think, that Matt—our OP—had an error message with your script:

The first one ran an error and now won't do anything and the second only works for InDesign endnotes/footnotes.

So it would be wise to see what kind of error this was.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, he already tried it. Well... my script will only work if there is exactly one superscript number for each separate end note, and if that is not the case then any other script surely wont work either.

The error message may help in determining what to fix (in the document).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. I had another go this morning (UK time zone) and got it all working. To give you a quick run-through:

I restarted InDesign 2018 with a fresh backup version of my file. @Jongware’s script then ran correctly. However I had a message that said it was failing part way through the document due mismatched number of superscripts and references.

I worked out that all the frames needed linking for the whole document before the script would run all the way through  - I had some orphan frames for tables etc. I also found a typos of two on the superscripts so double checked that all the numbers ran in sequence using the find superscript option in the Find search box.

I also worked out that the cursor needed to be at the beginning of the document otherwise it would again fail as it wouldn’t find all the superscript references - it only goes forwards. Obvious in hindsight I guess!

Every page then had footnotes on it. Interestingly the references started at 315. I left it as that and then ran Peter Kahrel’s script which also worked brilliantly. Moved this now endnote frame to where I wanted it and linked additional frames until all references were included. I did have to run it twice as I’d forgotten to set the various styles etc. in Endnote settings.

Brilliant that InDesign now has this feature and that it is actually possible to move all the manual endnote superscripts and references into this new format using Scripts.

Thanks so much for all your help! Hope the outline is helpful for others looking to do the same.

Next question is around automatically converting hyperlinks specifically for references as they’ve all disappeared. However I think this is best in a new correctly classified post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

matts2619583  wrote

… I worked out that all the frames needed linking for the whole document before the script would run all the way through  - I had some orphan frames for tables etc. I also found a typos of two on the superscripts so double checked that all the numbers ran in sequence using the find superscript option in the Find search box.

…

Aha. Now, I think that at least one of this issues in the document was discussed briefly in the thread where Jongware's script is discussed in details.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines