• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I include numbers for "page in book" and "page in chapter" together on a Parent Page?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book project which needs to allow me to have both the Page Number (in book) and Page Number (in chapter) to appear on a Parent Page (for toggling later with Condiitonal Text).

How do I go about this? I've tried a Numbered List solution but that doesn't play well with Conditional text.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Rob

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure what you're trying to achieve, maybe an example would help - or what you're attempting to achieve would be easier to visualise.

You can have Chapter Numbers - however, you need to have your files ordered in a book file

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/numbering-pages-chapters-sections.html

Book File

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

If this is not what you need I'd just ask for a bit more clarification to help you out.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the regular page number for your book-level page numbering.

Normally, you can use a numbered list for the chapter-level numbering. However, you mentioned a problem with conditional text. If I have time later today, I'll check this out, but make sure you apply the condition to the entire paragraph, not just the text. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Rob.Wood:

I used a numbered list as the chapter page numbers in linked frames. They are shown on top. The traditional book page numbers from the master pages are on the bottom. I think this is what you are asking for?

~Barb

page numbers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines