Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make sure the .indd file is complete

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

My name is Daniel and I am new with InDesign.

I purchased the licence (in fact it is not a purchase, it is a rental) so that I can save money. Yet, I am not sure anymore if this is a good idea.  The monthly fee compared with the use I make makes me wonder if I did the right thing.  The complexity of learning how to use this software is also an obstacle as I lack time to learn.

Here is my question:

a) is there a place in the adobe ecosystem where we can hire someone to help?

b) How do I know for sure if I send a file with the .indd extension to a sub-contractor that the said contractor has all he/she need?  I heard that there are some file we can lock and it makes me wonder if this following url contain all:

[link removed by moderator]

Tks and happy new year.

Daniel.

[Message from moderator: Do not add URLs/websites to your signature or your account will be banned]
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

D'après ta capture d'écran, tu es sur Mac. Il faut installer les polices dans ton système et il y a plusieurs manières de le faire :

• tu peux lancer le logiciel « livre des polices », puis aller dans le menu Fichier > ajouter des polices (et choisir celles qui t'ont été fournies)
  • tu peux placer les fichiers de polices dans le dossier /System/Library/Fonts
  • ou dans /Users/nomdelutilisateur*/Library/Fonts. Par défaut, ce dossier est caché et il faut aller dans le Finder, menu Aller tout en appuyant

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

When I receive an an alert that the software needs to be updated, I say yes, go.

You should not… New versions are often released with a lot of bugs. For my part, I always wait for an update of the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're sending files to someone else you will need to send them a Packaged File.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/save-share-projects.html

Or send them a PDF.

You can ask them to send you a .joboptions file and this will contain all the PDF settings that you will need for them.

https://ad-vantagemarketing.com/customer-help/install-adobe-joboptions.html

If you need specific help with InDesign - you can ask questions here.

I could be available to help over Zoom or something similar. 

Or you could let us know your location and perhaps another forum member would be willing to help you out if you're in the same location/timezones.

However, you are dealing with Users here and a fee would apply.

Adobe have help tutorials

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/tutorials.html?filters=%7B%22topics%22%3A%5B%5D%2C%22level%22%3A%5B...

Or you can sign up for LinkedIn Learning (or another similar learning platform)

There's 1 month free trial with LinkedIn.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/topics/indesign

Just search for tutorials on what you're looking to do.

If there's anything else you need - please do not hestiate to ask us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you both for your response.

I should have thought about joining this discussion board before. Your help gives me hope.

Eugene, I went to see your profile and WoW, your experience is inspiring. Congrats to you and your co-worker jmlevy.

After watching the tutorial I thought, read remember, that I have the original 'package' I received from the designer I'm trying to replace.  And so, I think I'll be alright.

If I run into more problems, I'll make sure to wave back at you.

Tks again and Happy Adobe Year.

Daniel.

[Message from moderator: Do not add URLs/websites to your signature or your account will be banned]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel

Are you francophone?  I ask this because the file content is in French.

Many things in your file have to be corrected: I see in the Layers panel that there are pasted graphics. Never do that, but import them (with the Place command, Cmd [Ctrl] D). Then if you need to send the file, package it as @Eugene Tyson  wrote. The package must contain the linked files and the fonts*

*if the fonts have been activated from your Creative cloud account, you cannot package them and your subcontractor will activate them from his own account

And check the spelling… There are some typos or spelling errors in your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jmlevy and thank you for your reply.

Yes, french is my mother tongue 🙂

I found the original 'package' from the designer who worked on the draft. 

Tks again and Happy Adobe Year.

Daniel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parfait alors !

Mais si on t'a fourni un dossier d'assemblage, pourquoi les images sont-elles copiées et collées et pas importées dans le fichier ?

(ça n'a pas beaucoup d'importance, mais je ne suis pas le « co-worker » d'Eugene !)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour jmlevy,

Merci pour cette réponse.  C'est très impoli de ma part de ne pas avoir répondu plus tôt.

J'aurais pu répondre avant, je ne sais pas a quoi je pensais,

Pour le dossier d'assemblage (the original package), ça m'a été fourni dans un .zip... c'est tout ce que je sais.

Sur une autre résonnance, j'ai reçu les polices de caractères en attachement par email.... je crois.  Je n'arrive pas à ouvrir de dit .zip, il me demande d'utiliser des TTF Files (voir p.j.)

Sa veut dire quoi?  qu'est-ce que je dois faire?

J'ai fait une recherche pour comprendre que ce fichier TTF est du TrueType d'Apple.  Alors que j'ai reçu ce zip depuis le Sri Lanka (grrr, j'ai trouvé un designer pas cher parce que j'ai presque pas de budget ET, mettons qu'il n'est pas fort en explication.) et je ne suis pas capable d'intégrer les polices de caractères avec la maquette en construction.

Autre que : Daniel, engages un professionel qui te coûtera plus cher sauf qu'il va livrer la marchandise rapidement et libre de bogues, y'aurait-il une suggestion à me faire pour que je puisse ouvrir le travail en construction inclus les notes évolutives et les fichiers de polices?

Merci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'après ta capture d'écran, tu es sur Mac. Il faut installer les polices dans ton système et il y a plusieurs manières de le faire :

• tu peux lancer le logiciel « livre des polices », puis aller dans le menu Fichier > ajouter des polices (et choisir celles qui t'ont été fournies)
  • tu peux placer les fichiers de polices dans le dossier /System/Library/Fonts
  • ou dans /Users/nomdelutilisateur*/Library/Fonts. Par défaut, ce dossier est caché et il faut aller dans le Finder, menu Aller tout en appuyant sur la touche Alt, pour le voir

*nomdelutilisateur correspond au nom de ta session

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I purchased the licence (in fact it is not a purchase, it is a rental)"

Which version did you purchase, please, and from where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know.  I just subscribe to rent InDesign, I pay a monthly fee.

When I receive an an alert that the software needs to be updated, I say yes, go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't rent the software.

And you never own software, any software.

You pay for a licence to use the software. Adobe model the payment structure as 

Per month - perpetually

Per month

Per year.

There is no longer the option to buy a licence for perpetual use of a single version of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should not… New versions are often released with a lot of bugs. For my part, I always wait for an update of the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines