Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I preview Images once in a shape

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I desperately need help in trying to match an image up in InDesign. Basically, I have placed an image inside the triangle shape, and I need to be able to move the image around within the shape to match the background image.

How can I see a preview of the whole image so I can drag it around to the same position as the background image. So, it totally blends in and doesn’t even look like it’s a added shape?

Sorry I’m not the best at explaining things but I will add some photos so hopefully that helps.

Look forward to hearing back. Many thanks.

So that triangle with the image in it needs to match up with the background image so it blends in like the next picture. 

The Shape goes in the triangle.JPG

The trangle hides the line so it looks like the picture continues down the arrow. but i need to be able to preview the image that is inside the trangle to match it up with the backfround image. 

Shape where the image needs to be.JPG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Advisor , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

You should be able to click on it and see the circle (as shown in the graphic above it). This will preview the image and you can move it. You can also select it with the Direct Selection tool (white arrow). Or, click on the Select Content icon in the Control panel. You may need to zoom in, or hide other adjacent objects (use the layers panel and click on the eye icon to hide or display objects).

DianeBurns_0-1628635885872.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

If you click and hold on the image you should get a preview of the entire image. It will apear normally withing the graphic frame and ghosted where it is cropped.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 4.14.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Hi damSE9A,

don't know the exact construction of your layout on the page, but I think you could avoid the issue altogether.

I assume you want to continue the big image in that triangular area …

How about masking your image not with a rectangular graphic frame, but with a polygon that was created from a rectangle and a triangle using the pathfinder method "Add":

PathfinderAdd-RectangleAndTriangle-1.png

The white border could be either added to the polygon directly with a stroke. Or you could duplicate the polygon and remove the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to click on it and see the circle (as shown in the graphic above it). This will preview the image and you can move it. You can also select it with the Direct Selection tool (white arrow). Or, click on the Select Content icon in the Control panel. You may need to zoom in, or hide other adjacent objects (use the layers panel and click on the eye icon to hide or display objects).

DianeBurns_0-1628635885872.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click and hold on the image you should get a preview of the entire image. It will apear normally withing the graphic frame and ghosted where it is cropped.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 4.14.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi damSE9A,

don't know the exact construction of your layout on the page, but I think you could avoid the issue altogether.

I assume you want to continue the big image in that triangular area …

How about masking your image not with a rectangular graphic frame, but with a polygon that was created from a rectangle and a triangle using the pathfinder method "Add":

PathfinderAdd-RectangleAndTriangle-1.png

The white border could be either added to the polygon directly with a stroke. Or you could duplicate the polygon and remove the top two path points to get something like that:

PathfinderAdd-RectangleAndTriangle-2.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Uew,

Many thanks for that, this has helped dramatically. It works perfectly now. 

Thankyou so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could work with your unrotated square on top of the image in the background like that:

[1] Select it with the Direct Selection tool ( the "White Arrow" tool ) :

CopyPasteInto-1.PNG

[2] Rotate it to 45° :

CopyPasteInto-2.PNG

[3] Move it into the right position:

CopyPasteInto-3.PNG

[4] Select the image inside its container frame and copy it to the clipboard:

CopyPasteInto-4.PNG

[5] Select your rotated square and do Paste Into:

CopyPasteInto-5.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines