• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I put my spine in the middle?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A printing company requires me to have my cover spine in the middle when I provide the document:

Screenshot 2022-08-26 193647.png

And this is my setup now:

Screenshot 2022-08-26 193938.png

My spine right now it's on the left side of the white line that represents the center.

I can move it to the right side too, but I cannot put it in the middle, so that the white line would cross it in the middle.

How do I follow the requirements to have it in the middle?

My spine marked with X.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, is it possible to give the page number 3 a dynamic number, which would mean: the page number before the last page?

My content has to be provided in a separate PDF file, therefore I cannot sync the numberings between the 2.

But, there will never be a page number on the page that is marked with number 3, because both 2 and 3 will be advertisement pages, right on the back side of the cover pages.

Will that cause any confusion for the printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probably have to create separate file for the covers with the spine

Typically the pages inside your book don't need a spine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*you could create 2 spine pages (half the width of the spine, 1 on each side of the centre-line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I really have to do that and compose my spine content across 2 spreads?

Or it would work as it is?

My 4 cover pages (2 inner, 2 outer)  + the spine are already in a separate file, what you see on the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But they require 1 page for the spine, not 2. Is it actually possible to make 2 pages and declare it as 1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you export, choose "Spreads" instead of pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't allow to shuffle pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can put 3 pages into a single spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here, how it can be done. For print export as spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup, so it's already done.

It seems that so far the 3 pages are in the right order, it doesn't matter on which side of the white separator line the spine is?

Screenshot 2022-08-26 203014.pngScreenshot 2022-08-26 202848.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion pretty well covered it, including dumb ideas. 🙂

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it does not matter what side the spine is on.  In fact you could just turn off facing pages.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 12.07.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chrisg11235813 , if you turn off facing pages the three pages can float and become misaligned. With Facing pages an adjustment to the spine width keeps the back and front cover aligned. See the above link.

Screen Shot 53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point. Since it is 3 pages I'd just create a new document and uncheck the Allow Document Pages to Shufle option and rearange the pages to be aligned. Adjust individual page widths before you join them into spreads, that should avoid any alignment issues.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 11.58.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not matter here, on which side of the line the spine is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willi Adelberger said: "It does not matter here, on which side of the line the spine is."

I agree very much on this.

Hi @Chris P. Bacon  ,

when done with a facing-pages document like yours simply add a page in the first spread dedicated for the spine of the book jacket.

It does not matter at all, if technically spoken, there is a "spine" at all ( non-facing pages document ) or if the technical spine ( facing pages document ) is at the left, at the right, between page 1 or page 2 or, if you add one, to page 3. In every case one could export all two or three pages by exporting the whole spread.

Perhaps one thing to add:

It would make very much sense, as Rob Day has showed, to add a page to the first spread that is meant for the "spine" of the book jacket. It would be easier to change its width with automatically moving elements on it when you do this in a facing-pages document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laubender ,

my spine is a page, because when I right click it, I get the page menu:

Screenshot 2022-08-27 183042.png

It's between the 2 cover pages, so it's already added as a page, if that's what you meant.

Screenshot 2022-08-27 183608.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spine right now it's on the left side of the white line that represents the center.

The white line doesn't represent the center, it's the fold mark between the spine and front cover of the 3 panel spread. Your export to PDF will be as a single spread

When you design a facing page book the spreads are folded on the center line and gathered into signatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Their instructions are odd. They are asking for a regular 3 page facing document with page 1 as the back cover, and the page 2-3 spread as the spine and front cover. It seems like they don't realize it is possible to have a single, 3 page spread, which is what you have setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines