• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I reorder/rearrange parent pages on InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to move a parent page, it applies the style rather than moving the page up or down. Please help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

I believe Parent pages are resolutely ordered alphabetically by their prefix. You would have to rename the page(s).

On experimentation, it seems they are ordered by order of creation. You can drag and drop them to a different order if you are careful to observe the "drop" line appearing at the selected location.

I can't generally think of a need or reason to re-order Parent pages, though. If you have many, you probably want an orderly naming system as well, which would accomplish what you're

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOu can do it — its just very fiddly

<div style="padding:71.77% 0 0 0;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/927930121?h=c9fd30c75c&amp;badge=0&amp;autopause=0&amp;player_id=0&am..." frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture; clipboard-write" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" title="Screen Recording 2024-03-27 at 11.23.40"></iframe></div><script src="https://player.vimeo.com/api/player.js"></script>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. But it is a UX fail if have to ask Google how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, having read lots of solutions of how to do this, everyone misses out a key point. To move the parent pages you need to select the hamburger in the top right of the box and place a tick by 'Allow Document Pages to Shuffle'. Then when you grab the parent page to move it up or down it will give you a horizontal line between the pages where you can drop it to move it. Hope this helps everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - I'll check this out.

FWIW, Parent Pages aren't Document Pages... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @turner111 wrote, document pages are not the same as parent pages. In any case, toggling that switch does not help.

Giuseppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here (macOS 14.5, InDesign 19.5)

None of the suggestions, including Jumbo-ing the parent page icons or dragging by the name, seem to work.

As soon as you start dragging, the "apply parent" icon appears and no drop lines are ever shown.

Giuseppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem a year or so ago, but it resolved soon afterward. It appears to have been a glitch in the software. It was not an issue of knowing how to drag the page icon to a different position. I don't recall what, if anything, I did to fix the situation. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try standard troubleshooting steps - sometimes it helps resolve weird UI glithes:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all else fails or if there are many parent pages to sort, you can use this script:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/sort-parent-pages.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Kahrel, thanks for the hint.

The script runs without errors (InDesign 19.5, macOS 14.6.1), but the resulting IDML file cannot be opened:

giuseb_0-1724339483273.png

Please note that I have no issues with other IDML files.

Thanks for your help,

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I fixed that bug yesterday but didn't upload it. I've done that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRILLIANT! Many thanks for your help, it worked perfectly.

My only concern is whether the INDD→IMDL→INDD round-trip might result in information loss, as I read that the native file format keeps track of many advanced aspects that get lost in translation...

Giuseppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience the roundtrip is fine. But do check whether the before and after documents are the same, e.g. page and paragraph count.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late to the party I know, but the easiest method I've found is deselecting the Show Vertically for Parent Pages in the Panel Options window. In the same panel as suggested above, but you don't need to alter the page size. It seems much easier to move the pages around.

Hope this helps someone. Such a small thing, but so frustrating for us that need to move the parent pages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RogueFour, nothing seems to change for me using your suggestion.

Thanks, Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this suggestion! It's the only thing that's worked for me. I don't get a little horizontal or vertical line when I hover between the pages, but I can still move and place the pages successfully in the gray space. Yep, a small thing, but super frustrating all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines