• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I resolve the issue Cannot open the file ".indd". Adobe InDesign may not support the file for

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I resolve the issue Cannot open the file ".indd". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing , or the file may be open in another application?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if its a file that's been given to you it may well be in a later version of indesign as the message about plug-ins is what it normally displays when this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You resolve it by (a) making sure it's an InDesign file, and if so (b) opening it with the same or a newer version than it was created with.

You can verify both using the script in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4071567

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same error message come up when trying to open an .indd file, except I am trying to open it in the latest CC version. Shouldn't the CC version be able to open any file created in an older version on InDesign? I do know that the older .indd file was created on a MAC and I am trying to open it on a PC. Could this be part of the problem? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try aformentioned script, just for laughs?

It will verify that both your ID version is same-or-newer than the file you are trying to open, and -- also not unimportant -- that the file is, in fact, an InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to use user scripts. Can you explain how, Jongware? I downloaded it and expanded it and double clicked and then... what? It's sitting in my downloads folder, expanded. Thanks. Will it work with CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ellis Home. Since the particular script in question is already a usable .jsx file, those instructions were unnecessary, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

All you really have to do is open ID. Go to Window>Utilities>Scripts. Open the Scripts panel, right click Users to "Reveal in Finder,"  and drag the IDentify.jsx file into that folder. Then go back to the ID Scripts panel and double click the script. Navigate to the file in question and open it. Voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't the CC version be able to open any file created in an older version on InDesign?

Yes, it ought to.

If the older file wasn't yours (if someone emailed it to you,or burned it on a disc, or whatever), then I am almost willing to bet you a beverage in the city of your choice that it's not a complete InDesign file. That is, maybe it was zipped and renamed, or the beginning or end of the file was chopped off during download, or something like that. The only reason I'm not actually making the bet is that there is a remote chance that I'd lose, and maybe you're in Adelaide or Khabarovsk or somewhere where the cost of airfare to me would make that bet a very expensive bet for me to to lose. So no latte for you if I'm wrong!

The script that Jongware posted will tell you what version of InDesign made the file to begin with. Additionally, if someone did something like rename YourFile.PDF to YourFIle.INDD, it'll report that it's Not An InDesign File. Because while SpectrumPCS is kinda right and that message can be generated when attempting to open a CS5 file in CS3 or whatever, it also spits out the same message when you just try to open an Autocad file, or a Windows system file, or a PDF, or any file that InDesign actually cannot open at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having the same issue. Today I can't open any of my files; I get the same error. I use InDesign CC and all of the files I'm trying to open were created by me using InDesign CC. This problem pops up ever so often and I can usually resolve it by restarting InDesign or restarting the computer, but today this is not helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat today. But I'm on CS6. Has there been a resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No permanent resolution - it happens to me occasionally and what works for me is to:

• Exit InDesign
  • Restart the computer

Then I try to open files again - usually I'm able to open after restarting; however, sometimes I have to restart a second time. Then I'm good for awhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I find this "feature" of Adobe InDesign most inconvenient and annoying. I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2014.1 Release, 10.1.0.71 Build...which is the newest of the new. I am unable to open an InDesign file that was created in InDesign CC 9.2.2. One would think that a company as powerful as Adobe could get something like opening files that one receives from another source right. Particularly since they make both versions. Not cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99.9% of the time this turns out to be a damaged file, a file for which there is a leftover lock file in the same directory, or not an indesign file at all, but something else that's been renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really struggling with this error code - it's a brand new mac, with brand new CC but won't open any indesign files. I've tried everything I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new discussion. This is an old thread.

You're referring to an error code but not telling us what it is. In the new discussion, let us know what operating system version you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why start a new thread?

This is the top hit on both your search and on Google, there is already discussion in here, and it's the exact same issue the person is having.

New threads just creates clutter and makes it harder for users to find answers because they have to sift through so many threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem.  For some reason a file that I have been working on exclusively on my personal computer now gets this same warning and will not open.  The file is suffixed .indd.icloud (though I'm not sure how and I've never seen the iCloud part before!)

Thanks in advance if you can help.  Starting to panic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who as the issue where they open their InDesign and the files are suddenly .[FileName].indd.icloud ITS OK! IT IS NOT CORRUPTED. I could have saved a whole lot of tears if the customer care did not tell me my file was permanently and irreversibly damaged! If you have a Mac (like me) it is likely that your iCloud preferences are set to have Optimize Mac Storage turned on, and within this, desktop is being synced. The .[FileName] means the file is hidden. My boyfriend luckily is a computer scientist and used bash terminal to get into the hidden files. On Indesign, scroll over the document you need and see the pathway to get to the folder. Use terminal to find it and turn OFF the optimize mac storage and desktop upload preferences. Move the hidden file from iCloud and move it onto your computer. Hopefully this helps. I wish I understood more how he did this but, alas, I study the brain not computers. Regardless, save yourself some worry - IT IS OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue... I go to open an indd file that is up to date with latest version on my computer, initially the lock file will appear and then indesign gives me the "you don't have permission/this file is already open" pop-up. I can open the file by just trying again to open it. But it would be nice to avoid this step. Also, any file attempt to save to my office server will tell me it's damaged. But if I save it to the desktop it saves fine. So I am left with saving to my desktop, copying it into the server, and then deleting the file from my desktop. I have been struggling with these issues for days. I have restarted the program, my computer, and even did a hard shut down of my computer. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem was resolved for me by going to my iCloud documents. The folder had been backed up to the cloud and that indesign file opened just fine and I saved to to my current desk to use! Schwoooo! I did not have the time or resources to recreate a document I thought was missing or damaged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with one file. I was able to open it via Bridge (drag the file to the Bridge icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign has to be the least user friendly program I ever used.  I can't open files in the same Adobe creative suite... what a bunch of dummies they consider their own conversion corrupt... garbage software that needs all these work around to do its job, import files and format them.  GARBAGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you have a question? If so, please start a new discussion with full details.

This is an old discussion and I'm going to lock it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines