• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you find all object style overrides in a InDesign document?

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several large documents that make extensive use of Object Styles. The styles have been overridden in places. I do not want to clear the overrides without seeing them first. How can I see all of the object style overrides in a document? Is there a way to do this without going thru every InDesign object by hand? Maybe some Javascript? A find and replace routine would be perfect.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would likely need to be scripted. Pop over to the scripting forum and see if someone there might be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I just posted the question on the scripts forum.  From what I can tell, there does not seem to be a way to check for object style overrides in a script.  It appears that you can clear all of them but not check them.  With that said, I'm fairly new to the scripting world so maybe someone will offer an idea or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a script would be most efficient. However, you don't need a script to clear all overrides of one style at a time. Set up Find/Change with the Object Style you want to address. Change All in the Find/Change dialog would do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be exactly what you want, but this would give you a chance to view each object before removing the override.

You could use Find/Change, and click the Object tab. Find the object style name you suspect has overrides, and set Change to the same style name.

Click Find Next. If the object looks ok, click Find Next again, and so forth. Of course, if you want to remove the override on a specific object, click Change/Find Next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara,  I will give this a try.  My current approach has been to click on each object in the document and see if there is an override.  Maybe your approach will be a bit faster.  As Bob, mention what I probably need is a script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
A bit late but you can use this script, if you still need it.
Double click to view the overrides and double click again to undo the overrides visibility.

if (
app.documents.length &&
app.activeDocument.textPreferences.enableStylePreviewMode^= 1 &&
app.layoutWindows.length &&
app.activeWindow.constructor==LayoutWindow
)
{
app.activeWindow.screenMode = ScreenModeOptions.previewOff;
// UPDATE [100525] - THX to ptruskier
app.activeWindow.overprintPreview = false;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pauloXoXe,

please check your code. It enables Style Override Highlighting for text and then makes overrides of text styles visible by turning off Preview and Overprint Preview in case they are enabled. This discussion is about overrides of object styles where text style overrides could be a part of the problem, yes, but perhaps only a tiny one.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, this is an old thread I know, but for anyone arriving here from a search, here is another discussion of this topic. I had a go at making a script to do this.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines