• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you install IDtoPSV6 or is it even possible?

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Is it possible to save out layers to a PSD from InDesign?

I saw a script that people used called IDtoPSV6  however, that was a long time ago. I am not sure where you are meant to put the files. And I am not sure if it will even work. In the new version of Indesign 2020.

It would be really useful if you were able to export as, just like you can in Illustrator, without having to export every layer individually. 

Thank you again

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I have the script but I am unsure where you put it?

Thank you

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to InDesign's Scripts panel (Window > Utilities > Scripts), Rt/Ctrl-Click on the User folder and choose Reveal in Finder. That's where to put the file(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, put it in the  scripts User folder to keep things neat!

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 17.56.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. So it is just the LayersToSmartObjects.scpt that sits ib the Scripts Panel

I worked really well. I was surprised that it builds itself in photoshop with actions.

Looking at text layers, I was wondering if they are editable in any way? Almost the cherry on top!

EDIT: thet text layers kind of create a temporary file that opens in acrobat reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. So it is just the LayersToSmartObjects.scpt that sits ib the Scripts Panel

It will work in either the Application or User folder, the Application folder is inside of the InDesign Application folder, the User folder is inside of the InDesign Preferences folder. In either case you have to be careful during upgrades and make sure you make a backup copy of the scripts before upgrading or resetting preferences.

EDIT: thet text layers kind of create a temporary file that opens in acrobat reader.

If you choose to make the layers smart objects, they should be opening in Adobe Illustrator when you double click the smart object layer where it can be edited. If they (.ai files) are opening in Acrobat it could be a file association problem with your OS. Make sure .ai files are set to open in Illustrator. The text can be edited somewhat in Illustrator, but you will lose much of the original InDesign formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realised this. 

I need to create photoshop comps so I can bring them into after effect. Although I have noticed when in After effects the layers are not continuous able to be rasterisation.  

But hey t is a pretty good plug-in.

I get sent a lot of complicated designs in Indesign, that I don't really want to tinker with too much so this is a big help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s a newer version here, which I‘ve tested on CC2020:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersV8.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Do you have the latest version of the scrip LayerToSmartObject? I have tried it on InDesign 2021 and 2022 which does the first layer then and error popup box comes up. Can you help?

Thank you 
Chi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also this is the forum thread from 2012 which covers the version history and misc. problems:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-export-indesign-layers-to-photoshop-layers-same-struc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will check out this when I get a moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another one with some options 
Works on both platforms PC / MAC 
https://corullon.com.br/scripts/product/indesign-to-photoshop-layers-pro/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 12.29.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are running the Applescript version? I wrote a Javascript version, which you can get here:

https://assets.adobe.com/public/5aa6cfc2-d1bf-47e1-6b6b-70aec58f38b5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, I tried the new scrip and Indesign test on InDesign 2021 and 2022. Both did not work. Restarted my mac too. Crashed InDesign and Photoshop.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 15.37.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chi T , Sorry I haven‘t tested with InDesign 2022 or the latest OSX version. The disk error message makes it seem like an OS problem. The Javascript saves the layer PDFs to the OS temp folder, so it could be a security issue with newer OSX versions. It works for me with CC2021, but I am not running the latest version of OSX.

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem is with your OSX Temp folder, you could give this version a try—it saves the layer temp files to your desktop:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/d28a3075-7aa0-4513-75a1-7ddefa02f107

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day wrote:

If the problem is with your OSX Temp folder,

Rob, a friendly FYI:

After about 20 years of OSX, a.k.a. 10, things have moved on.

• Sierra was when they started the new terminology and called it  macOS 10.12
  • Big Sur is macOS 11
  • Monterey is macOS 12

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, yes I am behind—have a 32-bit app I still need.

I used to upgrade as soon as a new OS or Adobe app was released—when the new features lists were long and the new bug lists were short. Now it‘s the reverse—the feature list is short and the bug list is long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

does the script crop the images and other elements to only what inside the page, or it keep it full and only clipping mask it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @amro227063313rv8 , I answered your Photoshop with a link to the latest AS and JS versions, which are here:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/11873033-f682-4425-68bd-239afeda1e0f

The script exports the document’s Layers (not page items) to Photoshop layers. You can choose whether to rasterize the layers or place them as Smart Objects:

Screen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 11.42.48 AM.pngHi Rob, i'm getting this error when i run the .JSX script! any suggestions ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script saves the ID layers in the OS’s temp folder, and looks like it’s not finding yours. If you check the download link I posted a version that uses the desktop, you could try that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines