• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Automatically Align Objects to Top Left Corner

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to figure out how to have objects (images, text frames, etc.) automatically snap to the top left of a page when they are drag and dropped from our CC Library.  We are trying to avoid minor misalignments for our less experienced users. Essentially, we cannot trust them to place the item in the exact/correct with their cursor, and want it to be an easy drag and drop.  Can this be done with an object style?  Or something else?

Please HELP!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With snap turned on, objects should snap to the edge of the text frame. It takes very little skill once the user understands how to make it happen.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, I don't think I described by challenge well enough so I recorded a quick video of what it looks like when I try to drag an item from my CC library onto a completely blank page in an open document.  Instead of creating Parent Pages in a template document, we want to have multiple "completed" pages in the CC library and the user would just pull (drag) them onto a blank page.  The completed pages have a 8.5 x 11 background image and a few text frames.  Rather than place the cursor exactly at the top left corner to have it be aligned precisely, is there a way to place these type of pages on a blank page and the automatically align to the top left?  Please see the attached video.  I don't want our users to have to nudge the content at all - just drag and drop.  Possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick thought, I don't have time to test.

InDesign page information can be saved as a Snippet file. You can save a page worth of items which can be imported by placing (possibly drag and drop). When placed, if you hold down the Option/Alt key it will be placed at the same location as it was created.

This video shows how it works. Try it out and see if that would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9T1NANpw0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Donna F ,

I think, that Steve has the only solution that could work.

But note, that you have to create the elements at the right position on a page that has exactly the same size as the target page and the document where you create the asset is exactly of the same kind, either facing-pages or not.

The other thing is:
InDesign can allign objects to the page edges with the Align panel.

FWIW: My thoughts also went on using object styles with feature Position and Size, but I saw from your video that you place groups of objects to the page. So feature Position in an object style would not work, because applied to a group would mean that all members of the group will inherit this object style and will be aligned to that position.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines