• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid hyphenating a specific word?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to accomplish this? I'd like to make sure I never hyphenate our brand name without manually checking the body copy. 

Thanks! 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Type the name in a text frame, select it and go to the Edit menu > Spell checking > User Dictionary. Then add a tilde before the name and click on the add button.

Capture d’écran 2022-05-10 à 17.21.06.jpg

Capture d’écran 2022-05-10 à 17.20.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

I'll mark jmlevy solution correct, but if anyone has the same (niche) problem as me, I figured out a way to accomplish this when there's a / character in the middle.

I added a grep style to my base paragraph style that applies a character style of nobreak to my word. I'll have to  remember to extend the nobreak character style if I want to add another new one to the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type the name in a text frame, select it and go to the Edit menu > Spell checking > User Dictionary. Then add a tilde before the name and click on the add button.

Capture d’écran 2022-05-10 à 17.21.06.jpg

Capture d’écran 2022-05-10 à 17.20.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is great!

Is there any way to make this work when there is a / character in the middle of the word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question! Doesn't seem it's possible, but I am not absolutely sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll mark jmlevy solution correct, but if anyone has the same (niche) problem as me, I figured out a way to accomplish this when there's a / character in the middle.

I added a grep style to my base paragraph style that applies a character style of nobreak to my word. I'll have to  remember to extend the nobreak character style if I want to add another new one to the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is a name, I suggest to apply the language [No Language] to the brand name. Create a character style woth no language (it suppress any hyphenation), and in the paragraph style set the GREP style to your brandname. 

If the style a strutured build up, so that all styles inherit their properties to a common root style, you need add this GREP style onle to this root style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my test, No Language won't stop the name from breaking at the "/"--No Break is better in this case. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines