• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to center two objects vertically to the margins

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound simple but for the life of me I cannot get these two images to center evenly and vertically on the page. I want them sitting in the center of the margin with .25" of space between them. thats it, thats all I want, but the top image still aligns to the top. I've been at this for a long time and feel really foolish so can anyone help me with this?

unnamed.jpg 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

First, select both objects then use the Align panel to alight the items by horizontal centre…

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.18.11 PM.png

Then, again in the Align panel, select Use Spacing near the bottom (you might have to expand the panel by double clicking on the panel title), enter the desired spacing, then click the Distribute Vertical Space button.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.19.08 PM.png

If you want the pair of images centred on the page you will have to group them together so they act as one object then Turn on Align to Page…

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.24.39 PM.png

Then click on both Align Horizontal Centre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it precisely in just a few seconds in InDesign. Here are the steps shown in the demo below:

1. With the objects touching, select the top object and enter -0.25 inches after its current Y position and press Enter, Return, or Tab. This moves the object up, to be exactly one quarter inch away from the other object. You can do this in the Properties panel, the Control panel, or the Transform panel.

2. Select both objects and choose Object > Group. They are now grouped to maintain the space between them as you align them as one unit to the margins.

3. Set the alignment to Align to Margins. You can do this in the Properties panel, the Control panel, or the Align panel. This doesn’t do anything right away, what it does is set what you want objects to align to.

3. With the group selected, click the Align Horizontal Centers button. The group is now centered horizontally between the vertical margins.

4. With the group selected, click the Align Vertical Centers button. The group is now centered vertically between the horizontal margins.

At this point you can ungroup them (Object > Ungroup) if you want to.

InDesign Space 0.5in Align to Margins.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also here:

center two objects vertically in InDesign
@Benjamin98A4 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/center-two-objects-vertically-in-indesign/td-p/1...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to center these two images in InDesign. I want .25" between them and have the pair sitting in the center of the margins, dos that make sense? I cannot get them to do this with the alignment tools. the top picture still sticks to the top. I am very confused

janee_0-1676430167496.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those images floats or inlines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but I don't know what a float or an inline is. They are two
separate photoshop documents I placed in this page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

each image is a cartoon panel with a caption there are no "text" blocks on this page 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, select both objects then use the Align panel to alight the items by horizontal centre…

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.18.11 PM.png

Then, again in the Align panel, select Use Spacing near the bottom (you might have to expand the panel by double clicking on the panel title), enter the desired spacing, then click the Distribute Vertical Space button.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.19.08 PM.png

If you want the pair of images centred on the page you will have to group them together so they act as one object then Turn on Align to Page…

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 8.24.39 PM.png

Then click on both Align Horizontal Centres and Aligne Vertical Centres.

Screenshot-2023-02-13-at-8.26.06-PM.png

If you expect each image to be the same size and always in the same places you can make this a Parent Page. That way every new page in your document will have picture frames in the right position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also here:

how to center two objects vertically to the margins

@Benjamin98A4 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-center-two-objects-vertically-to-the-marg...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Benjamin98A4 

I've merged your duplicate posts with their replies into a single thread. It's best to post once, please.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines