• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change caption language in InDesign? Table, Figure to be set up in other language

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon all,

I am struggling to find a solution to this. We have an article that we are translating in various languages and I managed to translate everything EXCEPT the words "Figure" / "Table" that are automatically added before a figure/table when generating the captions.

How can I change these to the Korean equivalent?

Thankscaption.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

These may not be automatic captions, then. I'd suspect numbering is applied to the caption paragraph style, and that's where you'll find that 'Figure' etc. text:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1675353957434.png

Editing this string and/or any applied character style should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

I suspect that, if you looked at the contents of that paragraph style ("LCS KR - Caption List..."), you would find that the "Figure n. — " is set up in the Bullets and Numbering section.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using InDesign's Caption feature, the caption structure can be defined in Object | Captions.

It is a weak and inflexible feature that depends on pulling the caption from the image's metadata, so you may have to edit the metadata in each image as well. Or substitute fixed captions and edit the content for each manually.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

Thank you for your quick reply.

What I get when I go to Object -> Caption -> Caption Setup is this and the actual text of the caption is something I can edit. So the numbering is automatic (Figure 1, Figure 2) but the description is not taken by metadata. 

The issue I have is that I don't want the word "Figure" but I want it to be in another language, however I cannot select the word Figure, nor I can find where to define it either.

Any idea where can I look?

InDesign itself is in English, but all the Paragraph styles for this document have been switched to Korean.

Thanks for the help!

cap.jpg

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These may not be automatic captions, then. I'd suspect numbering is applied to the caption paragraph style, and that's where you'll find that 'Figure' etc. text:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1675353957434.png

Editing this string and/or any applied character style should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that, if you looked at the contents of that paragraph style ("LCS KR - Caption List..."), you would find that the "Figure n. — " is set up in the Bullets and Numbering section.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all, that's the one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, unfortunately most ID docs have many "ones." 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines