• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Change Text Highlighting Color When Using "Paragraph Rules"

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using "Paragraph Rules" to create a tinted black rule/band surrounding my black type, I have run into a dilemma. I want my rule/band to be Black 15% but when I highlight the targeted area – I can't see what I'm doing even with the "preview" box checked. It all fades into one band of black color.

I feel like I'm walking around in the dark without my glasses on. Please help.

When I selected an alternate band of color (cyan 100%) for my rule/band with my type still Black it shows me (in orange) what my rule/band will look like before I click the "ok" box. This is great, but I don't want a cyan rule/band.

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Hi @June5FEB , you can’t change the text highlight color, but you can create a Paragraph Style that includes the Paragraph Rule, which you’ll want to do anyway to make it easy to format other paragraphs the same way.

Once you’ve done that you can change the Rule Above properties without selecting any text and preview the change from the Paragraph Style Options>Paragraph Rules tab:

Here I have a style named Text and a style named Text Highlight, which is based on Text. No text is selected, bu

Votes

Translate

Translate

"I want my rule/band to be Black 15% but when I highlight the targeted area – I can't see what I'm doing even with the "preview" box checked."

Hi@June5FEB ,

if you feel distracted from the selection color while working on formatting text, just add a second layout window for the same document to watch what you are doing without the selection. From my German InDesign 2022 on Windows 10:

TwoLayoutWindows-OneDocument-1.PNG

You even can do a different kind of preview in the second layout window; like Overprint Preview with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Yes, I do utilize "work-arounds".

InDesign doesn’t have a hide selection—you could do a feature request.

Also, I was assuming you would be using Styles, but with Paragraph Rules you don’t have to select any text, just put your cursor somewhere in the paragraph and edit the Paragraph Rules dialog with Preview checked—the Rule Above is set relative to the first baseline of the paragraph not the paragraph’s text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @June5FEB , you can’t change the text highlight color, but you can create a Paragraph Style that includes the Paragraph Rule, which you’ll want to do anyway to make it easy to format other paragraphs the same way.

Once you’ve done that you can change the Rule Above properties without selecting any text and preview the change from the Paragraph Style Options>Paragraph Rules tab:

Here I have a style named Text and a style named Text Highlight, which is based on Text. No text is selected, but I can change Text Highlight and see the changes:

Screen Shot 29.pngScreen Shot 30.png

You can use a Character Style with an Underline, this would allow you to highlight a single word or words within a paragraph:

Screen Shot 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to reply in-depth with some helpful advice and diagrams . Yes, I do utilize "work-arounds". Certainly, I can start them as another color that I can see, and change them to a tint afterwards. I guess that means (in my humble opinion) that this particular dilemma is an oversight or weakness in the program. Maybe it should be rectified by Adobe. I really appreciate how much time and thought you offered towards my question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do utilize "work-arounds".

InDesign doesn’t have a hide selection—you could do a feature request.

Also, I was assuming you would be using Styles, but with Paragraph Rules you don’t have to select any text, just put your cursor somewhere in the paragraph and edit the Paragraph Rules dialog with Preview checked—the Rule Above is set relative to the first baseline of the paragraph not the paragraph’s text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Rob!

Fantastic Solution! IT WORKS! I appreciate all the investigative work you've done regarding this. A Million Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want my rule/band to be Black 15% but when I highlight the targeted area – I can't see what I'm doing even with the "preview" box checked."

Hi@June5FEB ,

if you feel distracted from the selection color while working on formatting text, just add a second layout window for the same document to watch what you are doing without the selection. From my German InDesign 2022 on Windows 10:

TwoLayoutWindows-OneDocument-1.PNG

You even can do a different kind of preview in the second layout window; like Overprint Preview with this example:

TwoLayoutWindows-OneDocument-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Thank you for your in-depth reply and useful diagrams. Your advice will certainly help me to work around this dilemma. I still hope Adobe will fix it though!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines