• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create dynamic Fields with number input?

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to create fields with number input. For example, you put in the number 5, and then they will create 5 text input fields. I will use this in an interactive PDF document.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

It seems I may interpret the question somewhat differently than Bob. It sounds to me like you want the user (who presumably has some numbers in-hand; tracking numbers or something), to enter the number (amount) of numbers they'd like to enter and then have that many input fields appear to facilitate their entry of those numbers.

InDesign does not have native features that facilitate such things. However, what you describe is possible, but not necessarily simple. It would require using Javascri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give them all the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I may interpret the question somewhat differently than Bob. It sounds to me like you want the user (who presumably has some numbers in-hand; tracking numbers or something), to enter the number (amount) of numbers they'd like to enter and then have that many input fields appear to facilitate their entry of those numbers.

InDesign does not have native features that facilitate such things. However, what you describe is possible, but not necessarily simple. It would require using Javascript, in Acrobat, to hide/show already-existing fields based on the value entered in the number-input field. I'm more of a Javascript copy/paster than a coder, so using your 5-field example, translated to plain English, the script functionality would work something like:

IF numberInputField value=1

numbercountField01 display=visible

numbercountField02 display=hidden

numbercountField03 display=hidden

numbercountField04 display=hidden

numbercountField05 display=hidden

IF numberInputField value=2

numbercountField01 display=visible

numbercountField02 display=visible

numbercountField03 display=hidden

numbercountField04 display=hidden

numbercountField05 display=hidden

and so on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From this brief description, this can be done in Acrobat with scripts, but without more information it will be difficult to provide any specific instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines