• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create Invoice numbering in InDesign?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create sequential invoice numbers?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Sequential numbering on printed invoices is generally handled at the printer using numbering equipment.

If you are printing digitally and want to put the numbers on as the invoice is printed there aren't a lot of options. One way is to have a single document for all invoices and use a current page number marker or place a numbered list you create in Excel (if you do that, create a paragraph style that starts each paragraph on the next page).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequential numbering on printed invoices is generally handled at the printer using numbering equipment.

If you are printing digitally and want to put the numbers on as the invoice is printed there aren't a lot of options. One way is to have a single document for all invoices and use a current page number marker or place a numbered list you create in Excel (if you do that, create a paragraph style that starts each paragraph on the next page).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you use InDesign for invoices? Word or Excel would be much better choice - but there is a lot of better tools - even free. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree completely. Just because you have a hammer, doesn't make the whole world a nail. I've been using Quickbooks for invoices for almost 20 years and have yet to get one complaint about typography or design on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Indesign for my clients. I have made interactive PDF from the file and just need the invoice number to change when opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data that is displayed in the PDF is based on what was in the InDesign when you created PDF - it won't work the way you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to answer this question with a far simpler method, in case anyone is searching these forums in the future for this very problem. It's actually very simple to do sequential numbering on a straightforward, multi page document in InDesign. There are many reasons people don't want to use antoher third party software app for invoicing (cost, complication, etc). If you only have very simple invoicing needs, a running doc in InDesign is a good way to handle things, with the added bonus of being able to create a doc for each quarter or financial year as it suits your taxation needs.

1. Set up your text field on the master page for the invoice number you want automated.

2. Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current page number (it will insert a special "A" character).

3. Now go to your Paes palette and double click on the little black inverse triangle above your first document page (NOT the master page in the Master palette). This will give you access to the page numbering options for your document.

4. Check the box "Start Section", select the radio button for "Start Page Numbering at:" and start with the numerals only portion of your invoicing numbers (so for example, I'm up to invoice #000604 for I insert "604" here). Un der the Page Numbering section of this dialogue box insert Section Prefix with however many zeros you require prior to the invoice number. Check the box for "Include Prefix when Numbering Pages".

And that is it. Very simple way to keep sequential numbering over many documents and make sure you're not entering incorrect details into your invoices (double ups are bad news for your filing system!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines