• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to downsave InDesign from 2023 to 2019

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague of mine opened an InDesign file I was working on and saved it in 2023. Now I can't open it because I use 2019 version. He can´t downsave it before 2022. There is an option called "save for CS4 or later" but it doesn't work. I tried looking for answers online but none work either. 

How does't indesign have a simple downsave feature???

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about it doesn't work? CS4 or later means exactly that, so you're going to have to tell us what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reinforcing the answer, i will try it again if this is really the solution, hope it will work! Because yesterday I tried opening it but nothing opened. the idml file is 700k while the .indd file was 6mb. So isn't it losing something on the conversion? Should my colleague do something else other than just save it as CS4 or Later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference between IDML and INDD is in the fact that IDML is just the "description" of the file - where INDD file have a lot of previews and Undo history (and some other stuff) - both of wich will make INDD file bigger and bigger every time you do just Ctrl+S - so from time to time you need to do Save As with a new name and then - less often - IDMLing - kind of housekeeping - to get rid of all of the garbage and gremlins.

It's like PostScript and PDF before - but other way around 😉

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just an update. it didn't work.

the same problem happened with photoshop. I have 2019, my colleague had 2023, he saved my file and tried using this method so i could open it, but it didnt work either, a loading bar appears and takes ages to load and then fails.

Is this a common problem?? My colleague didn't even use new features from the latest versions, he just opened it, moved some images around and saved it., why can't it be opened back on older versions in simple way... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has always worked this way, writing a new format for each version. It's very important that people collaborating know this, and agree what version to use in common. Why don't you just have InDesign 2023 and 2019 installed? Getting a collection of versions might be for the best. Be VERY careful when installing the new to FIRST CHECK that Creative Cloud won't uninstall the old version, which may be the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, installing the 2023 version was pondered but I don't like having the latest software versions. My 2019 is working well and it's stable and configured. Same for photoshop, i'm happy with the versions I have, they work well with this pc im using, already a bit old. There should be no reason to upgrade because downsaving should work fine. I feel like adobe coherces us to keep upgrading our software and buying subscriptions instead of having standalone purchases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given your last two replies, I cannot help but throw human error into the mix here. You were asked to provide details on what is happening and all you've done is rant about Adobe's policies and tell us about a workflow "that doesn't work."

Unless you want to give us details, as mentioned already, install 2023 and leave the earlier versions in place. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing...system specs, please. O/S (complete version and build), RAM, processor, free hard drive space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I eventually just upgraded to 2023, easier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried exporting as IDML? 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDML is CS4 or later and it's the person supplying the file that has to do it. But if the OP received an INDD file, InDesign 2019 would be intelligent enough to offer to convert it via the cloud.

So, we really need to wait for the OP to come back here and give us some details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, that said if I know there might be an older version I'm saving it to, I'm saving it as an IDML...I do that too if im going somewhere with just my iPad Pro and might have to do corrections because Publisher opens IDML files. As much as I don't want to use Affinity's confusing UI, sometimes I have to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines