how to edit a pdf

Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have opened a PDF inside InDesign. 

How to edit the PDF inside In Design ?

If not possible to edit it inside InDesign, what Adobe software is able to do at its best : acrobat pro, illustrator, photoshop, other ?

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> How to edit the PDF inside In Design ?

You can't do that. You can only place it. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add your voice here - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/30985276-co... (TOP-3 feature that all of users ask it)

And don't forget to add comment about it! Let's Adobe think again and again about feature that we ask decades of years. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre,

what kind of edits would you like to make?

What is the app that made the PDF? Check that with Acrobat Pro in Document Properties > Description.

Do you have access to the source, then better edit the source and write a new PDF.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I have imported a PDF inside InDesign. In properties of this PDF I have seen that it has been created in QuarkXpress.

This file has been downloaded from internet and I have not QuarkXpress.

So if I understand well, it is best to edit it with the software that has created this PDF file ? But in Adobe products, what is the software that could do the job at its best : acrobat pro, illustrator, photoshop, inDesign, other ?

I have seen that this PDF is using DIN font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre,

PDF format is not intended to make major text edits, so you need to do this in the original XPress file (in this case). If you want to do minor edits you need Acrobat, and the fonts used in the PDF file have to be installed on your system.

Le format PDF n'est pas destiné à ce que l'on y apporte des modifications majeures de texte, dans ce cas il faut les faire sur le fichier original XPress (dans ce cas). Si tu veux faire des corrections mineures (changement d'une date, d'un nom) il faut utiliser Acrobat et il faut que les polices soient installées dans ton système.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that I have not QuarkXpress.

I have seen that the PDF file has DIN font, but I have seen that Acrobat Pro does not have this font.

Does InDesign has DIN font inside the software ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign nor any Adobe software does not install any fonts.

I have seen that the PDF file has DIN font

There are a lot of versions of DIN font, so you need to have the exact same version installed in your system.

What kind of edits do you need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> The problem is that I have not QuarkXpress.

Even if you will have QuarkXPress it not helps you. PDF isn't QuarkXPress native file too. 

@jmlevy is already say this to you: 

>> so you need to do this in the original XPress file (in this case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not like a work of PDF2ID and this is not so cheap plugin.

Just FYI  - https://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/ 

But this way isn't right, this way of redacting PDF is from wrong side. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not open the PDF in PhotoShop.

Do not open the PDF in Illustrator.

Use Acrobat Pro > Print Production > Edit Object

To make edits in pixel based objects inside the PDF use Edit Image > PhotoShop and write back the results to the PDF.

The same with vector objects: Edit Object > Adobe Illustrator.

Avoid editing text with Adobe Acrobat Pro. Too much can go wrong. And it is a clunky feature.

Instead work with Acrobat Pro > Print Production > Edit Object and remove objects that contain text, place the PDF in InDesign and set new text in InDesign stacked above the placed PDF.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines