• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit the TOC without removing the original links?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community, I am junior designer but I am having a challenge of updating the table of content from the original to other languages without loosing the links in the original.

Could anyone help me out. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

It sounds as if there are two problems. First, deleting the TOC should not crash ID, of course. It sounds as if the original file may be corrupted. Try this: save the file in IDML format, then reopen it as a new INDD document and work forward from that copy. This often fixes document corruption and broken links, etc.

As for the variant TOCs, it seems unlikely that every language has the headings and entries on the same pages. There isn't really any way to "update" a TOC except, as John said, t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOC is sort of a one-off. You'd have to regenerate the TOC in each language, provided all the styles invoved are still intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John, for your feedback. Still, whenever I try to generate a new one using the original styles, it generates a new TOC but whenever I try to delete the initial one Indesign crashes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if there are two problems. First, deleting the TOC should not crash ID, of course. It sounds as if the original file may be corrupted. Try this: save the file in IDML format, then reopen it as a new INDD document and work forward from that copy. This often fixes document corruption and broken links, etc.

As for the variant TOCs, it seems unlikely that every language has the headings and entries on the same pages. There isn't really any way to "update" a TOC except, as John said, to regenerate it for each document. That should be easy once you can delete the original and regenerate the new one.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @James Gifford—NitroPress let me try out this then later I will give you the feedback. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines