• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export InDesign document with VinaPala fonts to MS Word?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am relatively new to InDesign, could you please help me with the following document export issue?

I have approximately 4000 pages InDesign .indd document which uses Vietnamese VinaPala fonts.

The document shows all Vietnamese fonts correctly on MAC InDesign 2023, but when I try to export the document to HTML, and open in Safari on MAC, or in MS Word (with installed VinaPala fonts) on PC all characters got scrambled, the text does not show proper Vietnamese characters but instead something like "lø lo¬i mæy bay oanh t¬c chi’n"

I have also tried to export on MAC InDesign to XML file, but for some reason the generated XML file is empty ~100 Bytes, obviously it does not show anything after opening on PC in MS Word.

Thank you very much for any suggestion or comments.

Robert. 

How to export InDesign document with VinaPala fonts to MS Word?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

The only somewhat reliable path to Word is to export to PDF, then use Acrobat DC to export to Word. It's not perfect.

There may be plugins that do it as well; I lose track.

The key is that all apps must have access to a full font set. Font information does not "export" or paste from one app to another. Both ID and Word should be using the same, or similar Vietnamese fonts with the same glyph set.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

It all comes down to encoding.

What versions of the Vina fonts are you using? have you had these for years? or are they a recent purchase (i.e. OTF Unicode versions). If you are using old-school versions that came with a custom keyboard layout common for the day, these will definitely cause the issues you are experiencing.

I had recent experience with a Vietnamese file, and had no end of trouble. But this is what I learned: The company that sells those fonts (LinguistSoftware) has modernized the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro on MAC to convert from PDF to MS Word, produces a document with the correcly displayed and editable text which uses exactly the same VinaPala font.  However only if open this MS Word document on the MAC.  Moving to PC Windows based MS Word still producing font corruption problem.  Linguists, VinaPala font supplier, explained to me I have to use their tools to convert from the old VinaPala (ASCII based fonts) to new VinaPalaU  (Unicode-encoded fonts), to resolve the proble

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only somewhat reliable path to Word is to export to PDF, then use Acrobat DC to export to Word. It's not perfect.

There may be plugins that do it as well; I lose track.

The key is that all apps must have access to a full font set. Font information does not "export" or paste from one app to another. Both ID and Word should be using the same, or similar Vietnamese fonts with the same glyph set.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have VinaPala fonts from the same provider for MAC and PC, I did try a couple of other PDF-to-MS Word converters, but so far I was not sucessful to keep the right fonts in the converted document, expect that one online-convert which reproduced all the characters correctly, but the new strange name fonts cannot be changed correctly to the installed original "VinaPala" fonts for furhter editing.  

Thank you the suggestion on Acrobat DC, I will try it again, maybe I missed something.      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro on MAC to convert from PDF to MS Word, produces a document with the correcly displayed and editable text which uses exactly the same VinaPala font.  However only if open this MS Word document on the MAC.  Moving to PC Windows based MS Word still producing font corruption problem.  Linguists, VinaPala font supplier, explained to me I have to use their tools to convert from the old VinaPala (ASCII based fonts) to new VinaPalaU  (Unicode-encoded fonts), to resolve the problem of crossing the platforms, in addition I will need licensing tool to embed font infortmation into PDF documents.  Thank you very much for all the comments and suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I have also tried to export to PDF and then use PDF to MS Word converters (for example online-convert.com), and the text in MS Word does show correctly all the Vietnamese fonts, but the automatically generated font, during the conversion has some strange name "KMDSE+VinaPala", instead of "VinaPala", and as a result I cannot edit the document in MS Word.  Everytime I try to change the fonts from the converted text "KMDSE+VinaPala" to installed "VinaPala" or copy text to new MS Word document many of the characters get scrambled. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as you are no doubt keenly aware, most of the big word tools are very western/Roman-centric and get weird on other alphabets, never mind switching to RTL or needing diacritics.

You might try exporting to RTF, or even saving as simple HTML from Word. That might un-glitch it.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all comes down to encoding.

What versions of the Vina fonts are you using? have you had these for years? or are they a recent purchase (i.e. OTF Unicode versions). If you are using old-school versions that came with a custom keyboard layout common for the day, these will definitely cause the issues you are experiencing.

I had recent experience with a Vietnamese file, and had no end of trouble. But this is what I learned: The company that sells those fonts (LinguistSoftware) has modernized the Vina family, and has a page decicated to Unicode translation issues, including a conversion tool that may help you (it actually is designed to be used in Word). Check with them. They may have better advice for you about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Brad, I will try the support team from LinguistSoftware, and their conversion tool. 

The original document is indeed old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format is that font? Unless it's an Opentype font you are going to have even more trouble than you're already having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines