how to fill the page, and how to center

Enthusiast ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have this page A4 in InDesign :

In Design.jpg

About the PDF scan inside this page (made in Acrobat) : two separate questions :

1) I would like that this scan fill the A4 page :

- how to fill this scan until the number "1".

- hox to fill the scan until the number "2".

2) I would like to know how to center this scan on the A4 page.

Is there a way to do it without moving the scan myself with the mouse : by keyboard shortcut or with the menu or a button ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Place the PDF if you tick Show Import Options it will offer you some options to try, I think you will need to use the mouse to place the image anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may need to look at basic working with images in indesign.
You will have to drag the handles (white squares) at the corners to the size you want to fill. See https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/frames-objects.html

If the frame is as big as the page you can choose "fit to frame", there is also a button to centre an image in a frame.
If you make the frame as large as the margins you can fit or fill the image to that frame. Note that the margins will probably not be the same proportion as the page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YHou should also take a look at the multi-page importer script at Releases · mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter · GitHub 

It has a lot more options than the script included in the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some easy ways. Below is a page from a PDF file placed in InDesign. (My page is A4 but my PDF file is not.)

If it’s just one page, first make sure the Align feature is set to Align to Page (your #1) or Align to Margins (your #2), then click the buttons for the alignment you want.

You can find the Align feature in the Properties panel (shown), the Control panel, or the Align panel.

InDesign align PDF to margins.gif

If you’re going to place many pages, you might try setting up a frame on a master page matching your margins or page, and in advance, set up Auto-Fit for the master frame once. As you place each PDF page on each InDesign page, it will be auto-fit to the master frame in the same way, so you don’t have to do any additional work.

InDesign auto-fit PDF to margins.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Conrad C 

First I have scanned a 4 pages text to PDF, by using Acrobat Pro.

Then I have created a document in InDesign with these settings (135 x 215 mm corresponds to book size I have scanned) :

document settings.jpg

Then I have used the InDesign script "Place multi page PDF". 

Then I have crop the pages by using the mouse.

Then I have used the alignments tools : "align on the page" + center align on horizontal + center align on vertical.

1) First problem : on page 3, here is the result : I have blank space at the top and at the bottom : how to fit the page 3, but by preserving the proportions of the page (not distort the page) ?

center aligned.jpg

Then I have exported the PDF.

2) Second problem : For the exported PDF, if I click on "Print" inside Acrobat Pro, at the top right you can see a difference of 2 mm : the document should be of 135 x 215 mm, but here I can see 134.8 x 214.8 mm.

How to have a document of 135 x 215 mm in Acrobat Pro print ?

acrobat pro print.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the same problem:

Capture d’écran 2022-02-14 à 17.40.33.jpg

but if you look at the document properties, dimension is OK:

Capture d’écran 2022-02-14 à 17.40.11.jpg

So, when you will print it you will (at worst) get a difference of 0,1 mm on each side…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre said: "…but here I can see 134.8 x 214.8 mm"

Hi Pierre,

I can see this issue with the print dialog in Acrobat Pro DC as well.

The page size of the PDF is clearly 135 x 215 mm, but the printer dialog is showing the values 0.2 mm off:

AcrobatProDC-PageSize-Issue-1.PNG

Could be a bug in Acrobat.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the other problem with placing the PDF pages to a new document set up your document like you already did.

Use a script like the MultiPageImporter script originally written by Scott Zanelli and now curated by Mike Edel:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

Peter Spier already suggested that script.

Import your PDF pages this way:

MultiPageImporter-1.PNG

Note: If your PDFs have no Trim box use Crop to: Media

After that run that little script code below, written in ExtendScript (JavaScript), to fit in your PDF pages proportionally to all of your rectangles in the document:

app.documents[0].rectangles.everyItem().fit( FitOptions.FILL_PROPORTIONALLY );

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines