Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find external x-ref?

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
how can I check which references are internal to the document and which are external (i.e. they link to other documents)?
I am a technical writer, our manuals often reach 200 pages, the references are too many to check them one by one.

Thanks to all

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure there is a way to check this.

If you have an example it might make it easier to track down what you're trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may happen that some text containing one or more cross-references is copied and pasted from one document to another. Those cross-references, although in a different document, will continue to be linked to the original document (unless the original document is moved or deleted).

If the original document remains in its position and is not deleted, the cross-reference palette does not show the difference between internal and external cross-references.

I hope I explained myself better 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right.

Well I don't have a way of testing this unless I set it up exactly as you have it.

Would it be possible for you to share some example files?

I'm not promising anything, but I would need to see it to see if there is a way.

And best to go from your examples than trying to replicate it and doing it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I can't share any files.

Anyway no problem, I hope that one day will be added the possibility to check directly from the palette (E.g.: the bullet of the working internal links in green, if it is in yellow it means that it refers to another document).

Thanks anyway for the help!
Dario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dario,

could you isolate the document from all possible documents the x-refs link to?

Then inspect all broken links.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Laubender,
I usually do as you suggest, but I was trying to figure out if there is a faster method.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines