• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to have page numbers progress 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a book version of a manuscript. The manuscript has three columns per page, but in the book I am making just one column per page. However, I want the page numbering to correspond to the folio numbering in the original manuscript.

Therefore, I need to have page numbers progress as 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c, etc. Because of other things I have in place, trying to do this via master pages will be too complicated and tedious. Is there any way to set this up without doing three separate master pages?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Use sections to restart numbering, use letters for your page numbers, and add a prefix as part of the page number. In the attached screen grab I have selected page 2a to show it starts a new section, the prefix is 2, page numbering restarts at 1, and the section prefix is part of the page number.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.47.36 PM.png

The numbers on the pages are set on the master page using Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.

You could also use a section marker then a page number and skip including th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use sections to restart numbering, use letters for your page numbers, and add a prefix as part of the page number. In the attached screen grab I have selected page 2a to show it starts a new section, the prefix is 2, page numbering restarts at 1, and the section prefix is part of the page number.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.47.36 PM.png

The numbers on the pages are set on the master page using Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number.

You could also use a section marker then a page number and skip including the section prefix in the page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Perfect 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to automate this? I'm working with 400+ pages using this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For long documents, you could create each section in its own document and use chapter numbering in a book file. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines