• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to hide Application Bar?

Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to hide the "Application Bar" in InDesign CC 2020? It is useless to me and uses screen real estate. (This is not the Application Frame, which I have turned off. Nor is it the Control bar, which I have turned on.)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that the best I could come up with was detaching it from the top, making it as narrow as possible, then tucking it away in the lower right corner of the screen so that only the left tip is visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign 2020, they moved most of the items that were in the Application Bar to the bottom of the Tools panel. Reserving what's left of the Application Bar for the Home Screen. In previous versions of InDesign you could only turn off the Application Bar when you turned off the Application Frame. Unfortunately now, there are no controls to hide the Application bar which now seems to be primarily the Home bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I figured as much, but it never hurts to ask in case I overlooked something. Not a very bright move on Adobe's part from my viewpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off the Application Frame and then tear off the Application Bar from the upper left corner and then bury it in the lower left corner. A saved workspace will remember:Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. That's actually what I described in my first reply above. Except that it's the lower right corner, not lower left. One drawback of this is that if you have two screens, and the interface is on the left screen, the Control bar is displayed on the right screen (other than the tip of it on the left screen, of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed that.

BTW I’m running two screens with my panels on the right. In my capture above it’s buried on the right side of the right monitor:

Screen Shot 3.png

I’m keeping my Control Bar on the left screen with the documents:

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that works. I have such a strong single screen habit (33 years and counting) that I didn't keep using the second screen, or I would set it up like you did. (I have panels and tools hidden until I mouse to the screen edges, similar to the Dock at the bottom edge. And use a lot of keyboard shortcuts.) The second screen was headed to a different (new) Mac anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super annoying - why would you leave that on there adobe?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i hate that stupid thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured out how to remove this bar, there may be another way but I couldn't find it.

1. Take a snapshot of where your pallets are located so you can remember how you like everything.

2. Go to window > workspace > advanced, you'll see the bar disappear. this leads me to believe there is a way to turn it off somehow other than this method.

3. Set up your pallets again and save the workspace as a new name (window > workspace > new workspace). *note, you have to move the pallets out of the advanced preset location to enable the ability to save a "new workspace"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a solution, thanks; and why would Adobe think in al her wisdom that this is the best way to be able tot pull this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, wow, thx a lot for this one. Just unbelievable bad coding by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting the Advanced workspace in the latest version of InDesign (on a Mac, anyway) doesn't hide the bar in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's annoying, especially since you can turn it off in Illustrator.

On a Mac, open the files "Start_CurrentWorkspace.xml" and "Essentials_CurrentWorkspace.xml" in this folder (may differ slightly depending on your version of InDesign):

/Users/[user]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 17.0/en_GB/Workspaces/

Find this line:

<app-container-control-bar id="64" origin="1 44" size="595 37" is-closed="false"/>

And change it to:

<app-container-control-bar id="64" origin="1 44" size="595 37" is-closed="true"/>

Save the XML files, and restart InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works perfect. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver! This was bugging the crap out of me on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot; it makes my workflow way easier now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, none of these lines of text exist (nor does the en_GB folder) in the latest version of InDesign on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still there on my end in version 18.3 (pink diamond splash screen).  It's on line 574 in "Essentials_CurrentWorkspace.xml".  Note that "en_GB" is short for 'English' 'Great Britain', so you may have a differently named folder depending on regional language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That specific line, 

<app-container-control-bar id="64"

is not present in my 18.3 nor 18.4 version in any workspace xml neither...

What IS present is:

<tab-group active-palette="64" is-closed="false">
<palette id="64" is-closed="false"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frans v.d. Geest I also found that line, but changing "false" to "true" does nothing anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me either Boo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I figured that. I'm in the "en_US" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines