• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to implement humbly shifted text (側書)

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda common in Chinese to shift text to right with a smaller font size while characters shifted to the right side while self-referring. This is to show humility and is often called "側書".

Show as "敝處"(here) and "鄙"(me)  in the following picture.

Screenshot 2022-04-30 172305.png

As we observe, the word with the smaller font size will still take the same amount of character grid and the characters in the word will align center with character shifted to the top.

Is there a suggested way to do so in InDesign?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily set the font size smaller, the "Character Alignment" set to IFCTop, and then use Jidori to let the word take the correct number of character grids. But the character in the word will be distributed to the far end of the 2 grid. Picture as follows.

Screenshot 2022-04-30 174728.png

Is there any way to make an "in-jidori align-center/left/right" instead of always "distributed"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An aside, but thanks for the small cultural lesson here. I know enough about Asian languages to know that there is often a hierarchy of address, with self typically being the lowest rank, but I didn't know it extended to layout/typography.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, And more to address, there are a lot more things to notice about the layout change made by the rank of address. Such as lift head(挪抬), and these things have been described well in Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_tou).

As for InDesign, these features can be easily done by setting the Aki before char or adding a newline character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines