• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to improve Indesign Network performance?

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I believe we are in a network regression phase and InDesign became again extremely slow on working, reading and saving over a Windows network.

Is there any hack or any trick to improve this situation that change from version to version? For instance Illustrator has an option to improve the network performance, is it possible add the same feature to InDesign?

Working locally is not an option an because the files in object must be accessible by other workmates and changes must be available for everyone.

```

Indesign: 19.0.1 x64

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.3693
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

```

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does extremely slow mean? And what about the system specs on the computers? RAM, Processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

20~30 minutes to save files between 3~4GB can be considered slow? 🤷‍

Computer specs:

```
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA T-1000
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

```

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gotta ask...what in the world are you doing to create a 3-4GB file? If it's an INDD file, you are obviously embedding images and will eventually corrupt the file beyond repair.

I know you said working locally is not an option but have you tried it to see how long saving takes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the images are linked not a file is embed.

Making a big giant fat files I assume that is the current behavior of InDesign. We are three designers with the same hardware and same version of everything and this is how documents (mostly catalogs) with a lot of PSD images became.

Saving locally a file of that size requires 3~5 minutes but this is prone to errors.

We had to split these catalogs is smaller chunck of 30 pages max otherwise even with 32GB of RAM we risked to go out of memory. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All the images are linked not a file is embed.

Making a big giant fat files I assume that is the current behavior of InDesign.

By @Daniel NAG

I wonder if you're affected by a known issue of bloated image metadata. This can increase image size by dozens megabytes, and if you have numerous images in InDesign file the excess metadata can increase InDesign file by hundreds of MB (or even by GBs). 

Here's one discussion on this with some solutions (and you can look up this issue further for more info, if it applies to your images):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/why-do-indd-files-bloat-over-time/td-p/12738114

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I saved a file it was 1.44GB and I changed on the mastro the years from 2023 to 2024 (one reference for page), this document ha 14 pages, and automagically it bumped to 1.85GB 2.21GB.

I believe there is a big issue with metadata and extra stuff added at each saving, so the files grow get bigger at each saving... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A file > save as will get rid of the extra crap in the file that is added with each file > save action. Additionally, you may want to try exporting to IDML to really clean it up.

But if the time goes from 20-30 minutes down to 3-5 minutes I would have a good hard look at that network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's why I have discrepancies between local and network files. Good to know didn't know this.

I would blame the network if 2023 had the same issues of 2024, some versions work fine some others don't, network and computers instead are always the same, actually we bought newer and faster nvme disks and we moved the catalogs there... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing different about files stored in different locations (barring some minor file-handling issues like disk segment size). The bloating Bob mentions happens no matter where you save the files, if you don't do an occasional Save As, and sometimes the INDD->IDML->INDD purge.

And faster drives are almost never much of a gain in themselves if reasonably fast drives were already in use. Yes, if you go from older 'green' drives to newer 'black' drives you might see some improvement, but a generational update will be trivial. More depends on the disc controllers, configuration and server CPU. And all that assumes you have full network speed between the devices, which should be at least 1 gig. A 100M link in there will send you back to, if not the stone age, at least the late bronze.

Again, if you haven't already replied — details of the network and server?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP was referring to the difference in size when the file was saved to a different drive using the file>save as command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

I've just never liked shops or workflows where you drag network or remote files local for work, and then store them when done. To me, a good network with a full-speed file server (that has automatic backups, among other things) is as essential as... a pointing device. Trying to get both with slow, wonky cloud storage or cheap NAS devices or the like just creates more headaches, mistakes and lost work/time than they are worth. So a Save-As-here, Save-As-there methodology... well. I'll go be grumpy somewhere else now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Bob makes a number of good points about file sizes and management, I'd say this is more a network problem than anything else.

First: how long does it take to Save one of these files on a local system drive? Even with files that large, I'd regard 15-20 seconds as excessive. Try again with a Save As, and note both the save time and the resulting file size. (Any difference between a repeated Save and a Save As is file bloat from temp images, undo info and more. If it's significant — more than half reduction — you will probably want to look at your workflow and processes to increase the efficiency of your work and avoid corrupted files.)

And what are the exact specs of your network and the file server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines