• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install ID 2021 Intel on a MacBook Air M1

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to plug-in problems I need to install the Intel version of InDesign 2021 (and InCopy 2021) on a MacBook Air M1. The installer states that this version of ID does not work on this Mac. We fixed this problem on ID and IC CC 2019 but need new instructions for 2021.

For those who want to know, we have a plug in that has not moved to the M1 and when tested at first appears to work but won't connect to our K4 server. InDesign is worthless to us without this plug in.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you contact the developer. You may get 100 suggestions here but there's no assurance any of them will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The developer says to wait for K4 v12r2 in 3 months. I've heard from someone else that having the Intel version of ID/IC 2021 on an M1 with the K4 plugins is working great at one of his offices and he will get back to me on Tuesday.

I can't start replacing our iMacs from 2010 until this is resolved. We are not buying any more Intel Macs. We are only buying laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you may get it to work with those directions, but there are literally millions of possible hardware/software combinations. You're running high end software in an emulation. I wish you luck but only InDesign 2021 and later will be M1 native. Any issues with rosetta 2 should be sent to Apple and the fact that it's taking that developer so long to update their plugins is, again something to be directed to them.

All that out of the way, if you do get a fix, please come back and post it. It may help someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can't start replacing our iMacs from 2010 until this is resolved."

Absolutely! What do the developers of K4 say? When will they be ready with a plug-in for InDesign 16.3.2 that will run natively on M1?

EDIT: Ah. You already answered that:

"The developer says to wait for K4 v12r2 in 3 months."

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Apple Silicon-based Macs, a menu called Open (Intel) appears in the menu next to the app's open button on the CC desktop app, and you can open it directly in the Rosetta environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True but irrelevant information. This is information about universal apps. So if InDesign were an universal app this would be a way to force InDesign to run as an Intel app under Rosetta 2.

InDesign is not a universal app. Adobe has 2 separate apps, one for Intel, one for the M1 chip. The Adobe Intel installer refuses to install on a Mac with the Intel chip. Adobe used to provide a solution to this problem but have since pulled this technical information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned out to be super simple. It occurred to me that rather than delete the InstallationCheck filed in the installation package to open it and poke around. I just had to make the results of an else statement to be the same as the then statement and installation went smoothly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Great. Glad you got it sorted. Hopefully the emulation will be okay for you until the M1 native version of all the software you need is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines