• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to link multiple (up to 100) brand catalogues to a Master Catalog?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello InDesigners, 
I have about 100 catalogues on InDesign which are branded (meaning the products in it has brand logo on them ) so each A - Z of different brand customizations. The products remain the same and only the customization of logo differes. Now I want to make it so that when I update new products into the MASTER CATALOG this would automatically update all the A - Z catalogues as well. How do I link these catalogs to the Master to ensure this? Thank you so much for your help. 

Zedar

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Hi, Zedar,

You can place an InDesign document as a link page by page into another InDesign document.

1. Create the Master catalog without customized elements (logos).
  2. Create the Customized catalog and place the Master catalog onto one layer using this script.
  3. In the Customized catalog make another layer and place logos on it.
  4. Duplicate the Customized catalog replacing the logos as many times as you need.
  5. Whenever you make edits to the Master catalog, you just have to update modified links. You can do th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Zedar,

You can place an InDesign document as a link page by page into another InDesign document.

1. Create the Master catalog without customized elements (logos).
  2. Create the Customized catalog and place the Master catalog onto one layer using this script.
  3. In the Customized catalog make another layer and place logos on it.
  4. Duplicate the Customized catalog replacing the logos as many times as you need.
  5. Whenever you make edits to the Master catalog, you just have to update modified links. You can do this in one go in 100 documents by the Update modified links script posted here running it from the batch processor script.

Hope it helps!

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kas, 
Thank you so much for helping:

I have never added script before - is it a downloadable/activable app that works by itself once downloaded? 🙂 Sorry, not a coder except html. Could I do it this way? The Catalogue has 40 pages with products on each page. So, I will do a master  InDD that holds the same page layout and products for each of the 40 pps. Then for the A-Z 26 different brand logo customized, I create 26 layers on the pages (not the Master) and layout the brand logos on the products and save as 'particular brand catalogue'. This way, when I have to add new products in-between pages under a category - I can just re-arrange items on the Master copy and NOT on 26 different InDD files. Am I right? 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Zedar,

Yes, you can do it this way! In this case, you don't need the scripts.
Anyway, you don't have to be a coder to use them: just, download, unzip and copy to one of two Scripts panel folders.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines