• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to load JATS DTD 1.1 in InDesign?

Participant ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any option to load JATS DTD 1.1 in InDesign. I have downloaded JATS DTD from the link https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/1.1d1/dtd.html but i cannot load that in InDesign because it throws some error which is attached. Can anyone help me out?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that DTD file is referencing an external entity. I'm not familiar with this DTD but have you downloaded that external entity as well as the DTD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear chad thanks for your suggestion. I have downloaded that external entry too but still it throws error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JATS is the Journal Article Tag Suite, an XML DTD developed by NIH for publications and research articles placed into the world-famous NLM (National Library of Medicine). It's an exceptionally complex DTD developed specificially for STEM publishing in the NLM, and it takes a few years to master its nuances. There are several tag sets within JATS, for journal publishing, article authoring, etc.

Make sure you have the correct DTD for your type of publishing.

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you ever solve this issue, I am experiencing the same issue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Are you using the latest DTD? For example, the original poster referenced verion 1.1.d1 (2013), but the latest is 1.3.d1 (2019).
  2. Did you download their ZIP file to your computer, and unzip a copy to your hard drive? DTDs work better when they are located on the local hard drive where InDesign is running, rather than from a server or (heavens forbid!) a URL.

I downloaded and installed 3 versions of JATS and was successfully imported.  Have not tried to process an xml file in InDesign: I don't have any handy at this time.

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am experiencing the same with JATS 1.1 DTD.

How did you manage to import them without errors? What version did you finally use?

The sentence quoted from above: "..and it takes a few years to master its nuances..." it makes my hands to shake in terror!

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I downloaded the .ZIPs from the NLM FTP site for all DTDs I found. I got (once expanded) something like this:

Captura de pantalla 2021-03-16 a las 21.23.23.pngThese seem to be the .ent files InDesign is missing when trying to load the JATS 1.1 DTD, as the error message I get are from the type "Cannot find external entity".

So... may I place these .ENT files in the same folder than the DTD file? Is it the way it worked?

Thanks very much. This is a crucial aspect of editorial design and there is few or no useful help at all about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines