Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to lock a layer

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created an interactive PDF in InDesign using acrobat layers, when opening the PDF I can turn different layers on and off however, there is a base layer that I would like to lock so it remains on and cannot be turned off, is this possible and if so, does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve here, but yes, ID layers can be locked. In the Layers list, at the left of each layer name, the Eye icon controls whether the layer is visible or hidden. The empty space next to it is the Lock icon; click there to turn the layer lock on and off.

Whether this passes through to the interactive PDF in a way to suit your goal, you'll have to determine.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll get more attention to this in the Acrobat forum, but keep in mind, anything like this may or may not be honored by 3rd party PDF readers.

IOW, if this is vital, you can just forget about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nitro, 

Thank you for your response, I know how to lock layers within in InDesign but I wonder whether there is a way to lock it in the PDF so it cannot be turned off by another user.

For example I have a base map, but the layers are different points of data we may want to overlay over the base map but we can turn these points and off. At the moment we can also turn the base map off which is not ideal, I wonder whether we can turn the option off to toggle with the base map layer. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was swinging at the question as I understood it. 🙂

Bob is right, this is more of a PDF forum question. And he's also right in that unless you can confine your users to Acrobat Reader, there's no guarantee that the many third-party readers, especially the crummy ones built into most browsers, are going to honor something as subtle as layer locking. You may need to design your document so that it works even without locking active.

Good luck!

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines