• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a PDF from InDesign with more than 5 pages side-by-side?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need help - I hope someone can guide me.

I am making a an expo backdrop / backwall - it is pretty wide 8,92 meters wide. It's too wide to be in one page only, so I have made it from 9 pages that match the measurements I have form the expo we are attending.

louiseelisabetp15117317_1-1626790530970.png

Here is my question(s) :

• Why can't I make a PDF from InDesign with more that 5 pages side-by-side?

• Then I thought - hey, I'll make the first PDF with the pages 1 - 5  and then make  6 - 9 but that doesn't work either. It makes the same PDF of page 1 - 2 no matter what I do.
  • Please help, I'm at my wids end here!

BR Louise

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Hi @Anshul_Saini, I don‘t think @Louise K. E.  is having a problem making and exporting multi-page spreads, but the combined width of the spreads is 892cm (356"), which exceeds the 200" PDF limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

I do display work like this on a regular basis. As mentioned, do your artwork smaller (I tend to use 25%) and have the vendor blow it up to size. They expect this sort of workflow.

As for export setting, stay at 300 ppi for images. Displays of this size do not need much more than 50-75 ppi resolution, so if you stay at 300, when it's blown up to 400%, you have an effective reolution of 75 ppi, which is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of things

Selecting spreads should work. And if it's not there's something about PDFs being too wide there might be a limit to the overall size.

The other thing is

You don't need to create a full-size backdrop.

You can work at 10% of scale. You then let your printer/print vendor etc. know that it's scaled to 10% and they can output it at a larger scale on their end - just make sure you let them know the expected output size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's to say - selecting Spreads from your PDF output options should work

You need to select Spreads from the Pages section in output to PDF options

EugeneTyson_0-1626792355002.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF also has a size limit of 200", so your 9 pages exported as a spread will get clipped at 200".

Screen Shot.png

Usually the way to handle oversized pages is to design at a smaller dimension and then scale the output. In your case you could create a single page with a width of 446cm, and then instruct the printer to output at 200% with the orientation turned so the short side is to the large format printer’s width.

Is the printer capable of printing the entire backdrop as a single piece or will they be tiling it together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I suggest you, please go ahead and check this youtube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMZJU-Reneg). The information shared here is really good. In this tutorial, you can learn how to create multiple pages side by side and export them in PDF side by side. Let us know if this helps.

For any further assistance, feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini, I don‘t think @Louise K. E.  is having a problem making and exporting multi-page spreads, but the combined width of the spreads is 892cm (356"), which exceeds the 200" PDF limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do display work like this on a regular basis. As mentioned, do your artwork smaller (I tend to use 25%) and have the vendor blow it up to size. They expect this sort of workflow.

As for export setting, stay at 300 ppi for images. Displays of this size do not need much more than 50-75 ppi resolution, so if you stay at 300, when it's blown up to 400%, you have an effective reolution of 75 ppi, which is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For me, it makes great sense to make it in 25% and keeping the pictures at minimum of 300 ppi - as it is the same amount I look for when making PDF files for offset printing.
I will definitely do this in the future with big backdrops / big files in general. 

Thank you so much for taking time to help me.

Have a great day 🙂

BR Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are my posts invisible? I gave the correct answer in the first reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene

Thank you for your reply.

I did get all replies on the post. Thank you for taking time to help me.

Have a great day.

BR Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to confirm this. It's a bit worrying to not get a reply. 

For the record - you should definitely speak with your print vendor should you have concerns.

I have designed at 10% with images of 300ppi and that means they are 30ppi for large format stands - and it's perfectly fine.

However, each scenario is different are as each printers standards. 

It's highly recommended, where possible, to always liaise with your print vendor.

Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines