• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Indesign CC2019 plug-in Catalina OS compatible?

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have compiled plug-ins on MAC OS 10.13.6(macOS High Sierra) for Indesign CC2019 and we distribute this set of plug-ins to our client. But some clients facing issue while using this set of plug-ins on MAc OS 10.15.xx (Catalina).  They all are gtting an error message "xxx.IndesignPlugin cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware." on loading of InDesgin CC2019 application.

For this issue we have found a post on adobe forum. In this post we have found that, we need to Notarized our plug-ins before distributing to client.

We also followed some steps mentioned on apple support site to notarized plug-ins, but no luck. 

Has anyone tried this. If anyone facing same issue and able to successfully notarized indesign plug-in please do let us know.

Thanks in advanced.

Siddhesh

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

For a quick workaround during development of plugins, you could un-quarantine the file and InDesign should load them correctly, details here https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-and-macos-catalina.html

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine MyCustomPluginName.InDesignPlugin

However this manual approach to un-quarantine binaries is not the best solution when distributing your plugin to customers. Instead, a proper notarization of your plugin binaries/installer is required as described

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Alo_Lohrii,

Just a quick question, as mentioned in the example you shared, will the codesign of the plugin file needed now for Catalina or not?

Since its mentioned in the link that hardened runtime entitlement is enabled in InDesign, then is the codesign command actually needed or not. I know i could verify all this at my end, if you have a answer right away that would save me some time. Just being a bit lazy 🙂

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Manan all binaries needs to be code signed first, otherwise the last notarization steps won't accept the package

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  SiddheshK09,

If even copying and pasting the plugin does not make it run then it seems that you would need to codesign it as well, as per the sample given in the link shared by  Alo_Lohrii. You could try signing your plugin and not notarizing it as it should be needed and then see what happens, looking at the error it seems this should work.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a quick workaround during development of plugins, you could un-quarantine the file and InDesign should load them correctly, details here https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-and-macos-catalina.html

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine MyCustomPluginName.InDesignPlugin

However this manual approach to un-quarantine binaries is not the best solution when distributing your plugin to customers. Instead, a proper notarization of your plugin binaries/installer is required as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-plugin-notarization.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alo_Lohrii,

Thank for the reply. Now, I'm able to successfully notarized test plug-in using notarization steps mentioned in the above adobe help link. But I have signed my code using xcode 10 instead of command.

I have one query that, do we need to notarize third party libraries like "openssl", if we used it in our plug-in?

Thanks & Regards,

Siddhesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all third party binaries needs to be notarized too if not already notarised by the third party binary provider. If not notarized, your call to the third party framework will also fail to execute with similar message as in when trying to load an un-notarized InDesign plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(From experience with Acrobat plug-ins, not InDesign plug-ins). Plug-ins need to be notarized. Notatizing is not the same as signing (though it starts with signing).  If you can't notarize a plug-in you may need help from Apple, but note that "stapling" will always fail because there is no recognised executable. The notarization is still valid so long as the computer is online. Read notarization reports in detail, and carefully, it may take weeks to track down all the different things you need to solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question of whether third party libraries need to be signed is an interesting one. In general they cannot be pre-signed (though this would be useful for authenticity checking) since (as I understand it) most apps require loadable modules to have a matching signature (has to be disabled to load plug-ins!) I sign the third party libraries which I include in the Frameworks of my plug-ins. If you find out any different requirements, I'd like to hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using OpenSSl libraries in my project and I have to signed these libraries for mac os Catalina and above versions. Do have any idea about signing process/steps? If yes please do let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Siddhesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Signing is not enough. You need to notarize, which includes signing but is much more. XCode 10 and above integrate notararizaton into builds. You need a paid-for Apple developer membership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. We have Apple developer membership and I know notarization and signing process for InDesign plug-ins. But I also want to know signing process for  OpenSSL libraries(third party libraries).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The third party libraries are inside your plugin bundle and signed along with everything else. It is a little counterintitive but you sign third party libraries with your own signature, because the signature needs to match on everything inside a notarized bundle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the third-party library it should be easy to codesign it as it will be compiled along with your code and so signed as well in the same way as you have been doing right from the XCode build no extra steps needed.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I tried the same steps but getting error while notarizing, for OpenSSL libraries. I will re-check all the build setting and try again.

Siddhesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some time back I created a project that used a library that depended upon Openssl, I compiled these libraries as static libraries and used them. Notarization did not have any issues as far as I can remember(it was a combined job with one other developer at a different location who happened to be the client as well :))

So in my experience notarization should not have an issue

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines