• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to mix and match compression/resolution levels in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating an interactive PDF made of photos and maps. The photos are meant to be viewed at normal resolution, but the maps are meant to be zoomed in within the PDF viewer to see detail. If I export the PDF at low quality/resolution, there is not detail in the maps, but if I export at high quality/resolution, the document size becomes excessive.  I would like to output the photos and maps at different quality level and resolutions. How can I do that? Thanks. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale the images themselves; don't depend on ID or the export process to do it for you.

In Photoshop or similar, scale the photos to some low but effective PPI, perhaps 72-100ppi. Scale the maps to something higher, perhaps 300ppi. Export with the images set to Do Not Downsample. Unless I am missing a turn (and haven't tested) the low-res images might be scaled up on export but should not increase greatly in size.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to @James Gifford—NitroPress's advice, you could use vectors for the maps. If you can redraw them in Illustrator they will be vectors and will have infinite resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I didn't want to push things that far. But if the maps are relatively simple, converting them to vector would be the optimum solution here.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines